1. grandpa-j

grandpa-j New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Where is proper place to set a roost.P have put a lid on the nest boxes and have roost on top but they will not use the roosts:cool:

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    They might like to roost a lot higher. Might be nice to put a bigger board across the top of the coop with some access for getting up and down.

3. grandpa-j

grandpa-j New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    The bigger board do you mean the roosting board .This is a 1x4 and is only 8 inches above box.
    thanks for reply so soon

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's mine I did add 2x4's on the top 2 roost because everyone suggested that but haven't updated pic. I turned the 2x side ways so they wouldn't poop all over it.[​IMG]

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    You didn't say how old ur chickens are. Most people have to teach their chickens to roost if they haven't been hatched and brought up by a mamma hen. Make sure there is some light in the coop either a window or a light on a timer. Chickens are scaredy cats and won't go in if it's dark.They have poor night vision and are looking out for predators. They also like to see where they are going to land. Put ur chickens on the roosts by hand for several nights until they get the hang of it. The 1x4 should be fine.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What is the diameter of your roost?

Also, are you going to get very cold weather where you are? 2 x 4s turned so that the wide part is where they rest on (the 4 inch part) will allow them to cover their feet with their feathers to prevent frostbite.

If they are little, they might like a step up to the roost also. Some don't like to fly up high until they go to a landing area underneath. Depends on the breed and age of the chickens.

Younger chickens tend to just huddle on the floor. I have found that they naturally start roosting around 6-8 weeks or so, some earlier and some later. And my silkies not at all.

[​IMG] What a nice coop!!!!!

7. grandpa-j

grandpa-j New Egg

Aug 23, 2010
    Looks like I will have to handle them on roost for a few nights ,Like I said they will sit on the perch for a short time and the jump off and lay in straw in box.They are good layers but only 7 months old I THINK
    By the way the hens are Rhodies

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Oh 7 months old- they could fly way up. Just if you put them near the ceiling eventually you might want a step for them to prevent bumblefoot. Yeah- I'd be putting them up there every night by hand, if it were me.

I think hens are healthier when they get up out of their poop on a roost.

9. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    My hens insist upon roosting on a door ledge - which isn't a problem until one of them insists on laying from there - and the eggs end up on the floor. So every night - I go out and put them in the roost area. I also sneak a cuddle of my roos (2 of them) each night - they are so easy at that point - and I think it's starting to mellow them a bit. I only hope to get them into the roosting area b4 winter hits - cause where they want to sleep has a pretty good draft! The dog h ouse is in their area also (a renovated shed) - very funny to see the hens and the dog together - I'm putting money on it that I will find them all in the dog house when it gets cold... or the dog in the hens area... luckily he's small!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by