1. del gallinero

del gallinero Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2011
    Hi. Can anyone help with roost size and direction? Specifically, I am looking to buy a coop which has a 2X4 in its vertical position-- the 2 going across and the 4 going vertically. This doesn't
    seem right to me, but I have no chicken experience. In other people's coops I have seen a 2x4 placed on the diagonal or flat with the 4 going horizontally. If I were to get chickens of average size like Golden Comet or Black Star or Brahmas... what size of roost bar would you use and what side up? I might be able to re-position it. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our roost is that way right now. We have heavy breeds but they're only about 3 mos old right now. In our new coop we'll be using it with the 4" up. Some say if you live in a colder climate, the wider side up lets them cover their feet with their feathers when it's cold out.

3. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    I didn't use 2x4s in my coop. I cut 3"-4" diameter branches and used them instead. Just seems more natural for a chicken's foot to wrap around a round surface.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by