1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. jschway

jschway Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    olive branch ms
    2x4 for a wide surface or a dowel rod for a rounded surface the can wrap their feet around?

Thanks!

2. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    I prefer Tree branches.. Its more natural... I have never used anything else....

3. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    IMO.....You can use what ever you have. Tree branches w/bark.....2x4's.....The only thing it needs to do......besides long enough for the # of chickens you have....is to be wide enough for them to get their breast feathers over their toes in winter to keep them warm.

4. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We put our roosts in this morning and we just used tree branches. They love them!!

5. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    We used handrails left over from fixing up our house. They work great!

6. pinkribbons4

pinkribbons4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Vermont
    The gentleman who built our coop used apple tree branches and they look [​IMG]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. HSMomma3

HSMomma3 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Central Foothills, NC
    We're just finishing up our coop for our 18 "babies", and we are wanting to use natural roosts too - we have a few 3-4 inch diameter trees that we've recently cut down... Do any of you know whether pine and/or cedar trees are ok to use? Particularly I'm worried if the sap will bother their feet? (The logs are sticky right now, may dry out a little over time, I don't know) Any advice or experience with these? Thanks!!

8. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I've heard that cedar can be toxic to chickens, so I wouldn't use it for your roosts. I think pine would be ok.

1 person likes this.
  9. HSMomma3

HSMomma3 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012
    Central Foothills, NC
    Oh wow, I didn't know that about cedar - Thanks so much for the advice!!!

10. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my coop at night. You can see that most of my birds prefer the natural branches to cut lumber.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by