Roost?

blackswamp

Songster
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
NW Ohio
I'm almost done with my coop & have a few question. I have 6 chickens & how much space does each chicken need to roost? Like how much per square inch does each bird need.
Can I just get by with one roost bar (2x4) or should I try and build two of them?
How much space away from the wall & if two boards how far apart from each other?
My last question is I want to have a poop board how high up do I need it in order for my chickens to still be able to walk under it?

MY coop is 6x4 so I want my chickens to be able to use all the floor space & not having the roost & poop board in there way.

Thanks
Jeff

You didn't mention the coop height.... Anyway, 12 in/bird is the standard and about 12+ inches from the wall. My poop board is up about 26" high and just 6 to 8 inches below the roost bar. Plenty of space to add a hanging feeder or water container below the poop board. Mine is essential a table. I use a scaper and dust pan to clean the board daily. Multiple roost bars and more than enough space is ideal so that there is not squabbles to find a good spot! Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom