Roost

Oknev

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 10, 2014
Can a chicken jump up to a roost 30 inches high with 2ft of space on floor or do I need to build a ladder? The poop board takes up so much room is it worth it?

Can a chicken jump up to a roost 30 inches high with 2ft of space on floor or do I need to build a ladder? The poop board takes up so much room is it worth it? In my tri level coop they can jump up to the top roost which is 24" from the middle level.

My roost over my poop boards is very similar ti this photo only not as far from the board..
POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
Be nice and give them a ladder. Besides, it's the jumping DOWN that can harm their leg joints.
As for dropping boards, they are worth it if you clean them regularly. If you neglect them, well....

In the old days, dropping boards were painted with gloss paint. But I made my dropping boards using Coroplast sheet. It's impervious to everything and poop won't stick to it... And no painting needed.

I
My roost over my poop boards is very similar ti this photo only not as far from the board.. POOP BOARDS are the [COLOR=FF0000]"BEST"[/COLOR] addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in. Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE! Easy peasy!.
My roost over my poop boards is very similar ti this photo only not as far from the board.. POOP BOARDS are the [COLOR=FF0000]"BEST"[/COLOR] addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in. Winter months even easier flex over compost bin
ALWAYS scrape over the compost OR into a bucket of water. After a couple of weeks of scraping into water, you'll have a nice manure tea for you plants - and no flies. In fact, imagine hanging a couple of water bath trays, cut drums, etc BENEATH your roosts. Let the droppings fall in the water- no mess, no scraping, no flies, no smell. Fit a drain valve to the catch pan and drain off the "tea" every week or so. Refill, and do it again.

Back
Top Bottom