rooste

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizzybird, Oct 25, 2010.

1. lizzybird

lizzybird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Hortonville, WI
    Ok, this may be a bizarre question..... I have two young roosters approx. 6 months old, and 12 hens. I am wondering how many times a day those rough roosters are 'nailing' my poor hens? I feel sorry for the hens, because those guys are NOT gentle with them.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi lizzy-

I would never know for sure, unless I sat there with a notebook and marked it down........I would recommend you re-home one of your roosters. 10 hens per rooster is a really good ratio. Since you've got 2 roos, and that would be six per roo, the gals are probably just plum worn out! If you notice the roos are extra rough, and the ladies are losing feathers, or even sustaining injuries from the roosters, then pick the rooster that seems the most gentle.

That's what I would do. Good luck!

3. lizzybird

lizzybird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Hortonville, WI
    I agree with you on those roosters, I think one would be plenty, and one of them is more assertive/aggressive then the other. I think freezer camp perhaps would be a good option. Thanks for the advice!

4. Handbags088

Handbags088 New Egg

Oct 24, 2010
    I'd lock her up in the coop for a couple days so she learns where to lay, also I'd put some fake eggs in the nesting boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by