Rooster’s foot is red

JWalker1923

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2019
890E715C-23F1-4CA6-8414-F255D9BF34CE.jpeg

This is my Brahma rooster’s foot. I noticed the redness this afternoon. Is this normal? I thought Brahmas kept feathered feet. He is only 1yr old. His feathers have disappeared on his feet as he has aged. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

A chicken doesn't do much "aging" in one year. It appears he has leg mites. The treatment is a nice fifteen minute soak in warm Epsom salt water, then dry him off and dip his feet and legs in a heavy oil such as castor oil or smooth on Vaseline. Both legs and feet. You need the check the other chickens, too, as this can be contagious.

Treat again in a week to ten days.

If you have the budget for a stellar product that will treat leg mites with one ten minute soak, as well as treat lice and coop mites if you ever have those issues, here's the product I recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Elanco-Elect...qid=1586121189&sprefix=elector,aps,265&sr=8-2

It may seem pricey but you will probably never need to buy another bottle, it's so concentrated and economical.

A chicken doesn't do much "aging" in one year. It appears he has leg mites. The treatment is a nice fifteen minute soak in warm Epsom salt water, then dry him off and dip his feet and legs in a heavy oil such as castor oil or smooth on Vaseline. Both legs and feet. You need the check the other chickens, too, as this can be contagious.

Treat again in a week to ten days.

If you have the budget for a stellar product that will treat leg mites with one ten minute soak, as well as treat lice and coop mites if you ever have those issues, here's the product I recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Elanco-Elector-Psp-Premise-Spray/dp/B0042L8S7A/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1SD3C05867V9D&dchild=1&keywords=elector+psp+for+chickens&qid=1586121189&sprefix=elector,aps,265&sr=8-2

It may seem pricey but you will probably never need to buy another bottle, it's so concentrated and economical.

Thank you for help! I just ordered the product.

Back
Top Bottom