Rooster’s Spurs Are Affecting His Love Life

What I use with the Dremel are the metal cutting discs, the ones you can use to cut nails. They cauterize by getting hot. Some people use a grinder where they just start at the tip and grind until they consider them short enough. If they see blood, they stop.

Could you please post a photo of those spurs? That may not be your problem.

I agree with trimming the claws. Those are generally the reason for bare backs, not the spurs.

Don't worry about filing. I just don't see any advantage at all for that. If for some reason you feel you have to file, use a grinder and smooth as you shorten.

It can be a good idea to have corn starch or flour handy to stop bleeding. I've never had one that bled much at all, just a drop or so if any, but I can see accidents happening or one being a bleeder.

When I finish I just toss them back into the run. No treatment or after care. He immediately mates with a hen to show he is still the boss and life is back to normal.

Wrapping him in a towel and a second person assisting helps to prevent fidgeting which might lead to injuries.
This is the very reason I’ve done nothing more than what I have. I don’t have a 2nd person around to help, generally, but one will be here to help this weekend.

I like to use a hack with finer teeth. Faster and ultimately less stressful for rooster.
Is there anything special about this hack? I’ve got several hack and coping saws, both with fine teeth. What do you do about the bleeding? It seems that the hack saw would be too long for such a small place.

Also, you mention stress. I definitely don't want to cause my good boy to have a reason to hate me.

From what I have seen so far watching videos, this only strips the outer layer leaving the sharp and pointy ends almost the same as before = no use for me.
I was under the impression that once the outer covering was removed, what remained was the soft fleshy part. I would equate the leftover part of what was left after removing the shell from a crab leg. You know, the soft fleshy meat that pulls out...right before I dip it in butter and devour it! :gig

What I use with the Dremel are the metal cutting discs, the ones you can use to cut nails. They cauterize by getting hot. Some people use a grinder where they just start at the tip and grind until they consider them short enough. If they see blood, they stop.

Could you please post a photo of those spurs? That may not be your problem.

I agree with trimming the claws. Those are generally the reason for bare backs, not the spurs.

Don't worry about filing. I just don't see any advantage at all for that. If for some reason you feel you have to file, use a grinder and smooth as you shorten.

It can be a good idea to have corn starch or flour handy to stop bleeding. I've never had one that bled much at all, just a drop or so if any, but I can see accidents happening or one being a bleeder.

When I finish I just toss them back into the run. No treatment or after care. He immediately mates with a hen to show he is still the boss and life is back to normal.
I’m only laughing at your last statement. I guess the boy has to show he’s still the boss.

The only reason I filed is sometimes I would have a sharp shard on the edge after trimming. It looked ripe for a slicing.:hmm

Here are a couple pics of his spurs, at different angles. I could measure them if needed but thought comparison to the bird would be better.
46C57832-191A-4B99-858A-CEFA1EFFC9C9.jpeg
09B5F19F-D384-4218-BE22-4CB7F3B5CB06.jpeg

All spurs aren’t created equal. The metal disks cut better. I’ve used them both on hundreds of roosters.
My roo’s spurs are pretty tough or thick, whatever. But then, his spurs are the first ones I’ve dealt with. He is the first male that has made it this long in my flock. :eek: It has taken me this long to find one that meets all the right criteria — which is not attacking a human!

Back
Top Bottom