Rooster’s Spurs Are Affecting His Love Life

Is there anything special about this hack? I’ve got several hack and coping saws, both with fine teeth. What do you do about the bleeding? It seems that the hack saw would be too long for such a small place.

Also, you mention stress. I definitely don't want to cause my good boy to have a reason to hate me.

I like to use a unit like shown below. I sit down with rooster laying on his side facing right with both legs restrained by left hand and his body by my left forearm. I am right dominant so use that to hold saw. The bleeding is generally minimal and never life threatening. The bleeding may be good to flush out fines produced by whatever cutting tool is used. This not optimal time of year with mature birds in molt. They are less happy with handling and you can damage some of the new feathers coming in.

The whole process is more fun if you have a helper. For me it is just a small kid that helps me manage cutting tool after I get bird situated. Then I can focus more on getting the bird in a comfortable yet restrained position. Ideally, even when doing more than one bird everyone needs to be comfortable.

I have been cleaning cutting site and tool before cutting using isopropyl alcohol. Definitely do so if doing more than one bird. Process is more invasive than doing something like trimming horse hooves.

th

I’m only laughing at your last statement. I guess the boy has to show he’s still the boss.

The only reason I filed is sometimes I would have a sharp shard on the edge after trimming. It looked ripe for a slicing.:hmm

Here are a couple pics of his spurs, at different angles. I could measure them if needed but thought comparison to the bird would be better.
View attachment 2347841View attachment 2347843
Spurs do not look too big. He may just be a little heavy for the job.

I like to use a unit like shown below. I sit down with rooster laying on his side facing right with both legs restrained by left hand and his body by my left forearm. I am right dominant so use that to hold saw. The bleeding is generally minimal and never life threatening. The bleeding may be good to flush out fines produced by whatever cutting tool is used. This not optimal time of year with mature birds in molt. They are less happy with handling and you can damage some of the new feathers coming in.

The whole process is more fun if you have a helper. For me it is just a small kid that helps me manage cutting tool after I get bird situated. Then I can focus more on getting the bird in a comfortable yet restrained position. Ideally, even when doing more than one bird everyone needs to be comfortable.

I have been cleaning cutting site and tool before cutting using isopropyl alcohol. Definitely do so if doing more than one bird. Process is more invasive than doing something like trimming horse hooves.

th
I’ve got this very saw!

Spurs do not look too big. He may just be a little heavy for the job.
I agree, the spurs don't look like they are the problem.
Until about 6 months ago, he would hop on, get the job done and hop right off. But then I started noticing him just standing on the hens’ backs after he tried again and again. To the point of the poor girl eatin’ dirt until he decided to hop off.

Is what I’m now seeing poor mating behavior that has just started? And this is a dumb question, but is there anything I can do or that needs to be done? He is so good in every other way. I just feel terrible for the hens. And I’m guessing that cutting his spurs will have no bearing on this?

Good lord, why do I get the weirdo chickens?

Wrapping in a towel is especially helpful if you DON’T have that second person.

And, have you tried those little mating jackets you can get for the hens?
He is so big that I definitely will need a holder if I’m using something like a Dremel or a hot potato!

And yes, I made several hen saddles last year, but decided to see if the girls actually suffered any from the feather loss. Only two of my 45 hens have bare spots, but I do see a few feathers fall each time they shake afterwards.

Agrees that spurs don't look too big.
How have you been keeping the tips shortened/dulled?
I'd just keep doing that.
Snipping off the toenail tips would be good too.

But then I started noticing him just standing on the hens’ backs after he tried again and again. To the point of the poor girl eatin’ dirt until he decided to hop off.
:gig
Not sure why he'd do that!

Last edited:
How have you been keeping the tips shortened/dulled?
Amope Pedi works really well to smooth up the ends of his spurs. I can only manage to cut off pieces of the spur at a time with no help. Using only one hand I don’t have the strength needed to cut completely through to remove a quarter inch.

I will try to get a video of what he does once he mounts the hens. It’s very odd.

Back
Top Bottom