rooster 911

sspencer139

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
Michigan
Help! I got a new rooster a few weeks ago I kept him in the coop inside a nice little cage so he could be safe from the other chickens but they would be able to get used to eachother. Well I let him out and supervised for a while and checked in through the day. I noticed a couple days ago he was hiding so I figured I would just keep an extra eye on him well after 2 days of that he was put back in his safe haven but he wasn't moving around or anything. I just checked on him and thought he was dead but he isn't! I tried to give him water he didn't want ir he waw wobbly and acting "drunk" I did notice one of his eyes looked injured what can I do to nurse him back to health I need options quick I think he only has hours left! Thank you!

I won't even pretend to know what is going on for sure with your rooster but if it were me I'd get him in an animal crate and get him in where it's warm and try to get him to eat. Clean up any wounds and his eye and keep an eye on him. If he's weak you don't want him to spend what energy he has trying to stay warm. If he was attached he could be in shock.

I don't know what others think but maybe a really warm bath to clean him up and relax him. My chicken loved this when I did it for being egg bound. It would be really important to wrap him well and keep him very warm though. I put the animal crate right by the heater so she'd be really warm.

Good luck and I hope he pulls through for you!

Look at the eye carefully to make sure that it is injured and not swollen with infection. Many respiratory diseases can have eye or face swelling, with discharge coming out of the eye or nose. Since you got him a few weeks ago, he may have something contagious. Mareks disease will sometimes cause symptoms like you describe. If you have other roosters, it is almost impossible to bring in a new one and be accepted. I'm hoping your guy gets better.

Thank you for the advice for more he is inside in a crate with a heat lamp he made it through the night I gave him water via dropper and also rinsed his eye with saline solution he seems to be in a lot of discomfort he did however have a bowel movement I am going to try to get him to eat this morning

I do we have one white leg horn one ameruacana and 2 bantam we got this little guy in hopes to breed our silkie they all seemed to get along fine at first I think my rir are bullies I have witnessed it a few times my husband and I are thinking about doing some reorganization of our flock come spring

As of now he is in a cage under a heat lamp I gave him a quick bath he was poopy all over and I have been giving him water via syring and spoon feeding him softened pellets I can't help but feel like I am only prolonging the inevitable I'm not sure how long I wait before I know he won't recover

Back
Top Bottom