Rooster abuse by my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spies04, Nov 16, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I never thought I would post a question looking for help on my rooster who is getting abused [​IMG]

My hens are continually pulling his feathers in his hind area and on his back. I have had to put him in his own area to give him a break and allow for the feathers to come in. He is still in the house, but in his own area. I have two roosters in this house and both are so dossel. But my other rooster does not have this trouble.

Has anyone ever heard of this? The funny thing is I was more worried about getting my two roosters to live together and had never considered that the hens would be picking on him.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

R.A.H.? Rooster Abuse Hotline? I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, and I don't have any advice, either. Maybe he needs some time on his own, like you're doing. Is he younger than them?

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Humm my rooster is younger then the girls he bullies all but two, that wont stand for it and chase him. Hope he (your boy) works it out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    He is younger than some and others he is the same age. He is just so timid. I don't want him to become aggressive but some times I wish he would just turn around and give them a beat down to leave him alone. [​IMG]

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Sounds like he is still young. Hens will pick on young cockerals but by the time he's 7-8 months old he should grow up and stick up for himself and things will quiet down. there will be a little picking going on when this happens but most roo's will only fight with the girls enough to establish that he's the boss now and then things will settle down. I had a 5 month old guy that would get thrown off the top roost every nite by the old girls but at 7 months they accepted him and he got to sleep on the top roost surrounded by all the old girls all tho the young girls his age still weren't allowed up there. Just give him some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by