Rooster abuse?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by enggass, Jan 28, 2017.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hey all,
    I have had chickens for many years, but finally have an adult rooster. All other roosters I had due to hatching were released prior to mating days. I have one rooster and 5 hens. Which I know is a low ratio. Please tell me if the pictures show feather loss due to rooster abuse or molting. Started small and has gotten worse. Pictures 1 and 2 are hen in question… Picture number 3 is another hen which Im pretty sure is due to rooster, but the first couple of pictures the hen looks worse…

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks more like feather picking, especially the ones bottom. Rooster wear will be similar but by the time they are that naked they also have bare patches on the top part of the wings usually. The bottom never gets bald like that.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First, it wouldn't be abuse on the part of the rooster. He's just mating. Not his fault the hen gets bare backed.

Okay, that said, I don't think it's rooster damage either. Well, he may be contributing to the bare spot on the back, but not under the tail. There's nothing he does during mating that would break/damage/remove feathers in that area.

My thoughts are perhaps picking, or mites.

Some hens simply have more brittle feathers, and they break easily. We all know ladies with fragile hair, that get split ends so easy, or their hair just never looks healthy. Same for birds. You can try boosting protein, if that's the case. It may help, but in some cases the hens just always look tattered.

But addressing the root of the issue will be necessary first.

2 people like this.
  4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    In the second photo the hen appears to have an abnormal abdominal swelling to me....maybe ascites...worth checking her over.
    I also would have expected to see bare patches on the shoulders if it was rooster damage, so I agree that there is probably something else going on.

1 person likes this.
  5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I too do not think rooster damage. I also noticed the bare bottomed hen looking swollen.

How old are they? Ever wormed them? Possible mites and another issue for the hen.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, how old.......and what and how exactly are you feeding??

7. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    2 years old. Feeding layer pellets and some occasional scratch. Free range at times... she is eating and drinking fine. Even laying.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    That does look like rooster damage on the back, because there is not always feather damage on the shoulder/wing area. The feather loss to the bottom is not from a rooster, and I agree that her abdomen looks swollen and needs to be checked out.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They will be 2yo in spring?
    Did they molt last fall?

The one in pic 2 above is laying, and that apparently fat belly is not squishy and.or swollen?
    Might just be the camera angle that makes her look swollen, but I'd get my hands on it to be sure.

Might need to up their protein, layer feed is kind of low in that regard and it could help if there is feather eating going on.

10. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    2 this spring. Got them from someone last fall just as they were about to molt. The move stifled the molt and it never happened. Haven't felt the belly. Looks a bit swollen, yes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by