1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster acting offish

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mychickenbertha, Jan 12, 2013.

1. mychickenbertha

mychickenbertha Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    My Austrlorp Rooster has been acting offish for the last few weeks. He is not the dominate roo and doesn't demand attention like the dominate one. So i am not sure if its just because i am in the run with him. He is eating and drinking fine and his stools seem to be normal. I have checked him for crop issues and he seems OK there. Also checked him for bugs under his wings and couldn't see anything. Just wormed all the chickens a few days ago as well. When ever i go into the run he seems to hide. I also have not heard him crow in quite awhile.The only other thing that is different is that one of his girls passed away almost 3 weeks ago. Anyone know if roos get depressed?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It could be that losing his girl shook him a bit. Chickens do mourn losses, like we do and they can get depressed too. Just give him a little extra attention and treats and hopefully he'll bounce back soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by