Rooster acting strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jewels1935, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Good morning [​IMG] My roo always greets me in the morning at the coop door to be let out in the mornings. Today when I walked outside he was under the silkies coop (which sits inside the big coop) growling like something awful [​IMG] Now, my brown silkie hen laid her very first egg under there 2 days ago. He did join her while she laid the egg. I took the egg though [​IMG] What on earth was he doing under there this morning? Is he mad that I took the egg? He also made the nest bigger. Very strange or at least to me...He wouldn't even come out when I let the girls out. But when that brown silkie hen came out, he started clucking.

Thanks! I'm worried about him [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like he's being a gentleman and showing her a good spot to lay her egg.

3. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:I was scared to stick my hands under there! [​IMG] She did come in and lay an egg inside the nest. I don't think the eggs are fertile , so I'm stealing the eggs. I need to make brownies today [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If he gets down on his belly and makes the sound (an oscillating type sound), then he's showing her a good spot to lay. If it's a very loud RAWR type growl, that's a HUGE warning call. My rooster only makes it when the threat is really close - like a low flying hawk. I sometimes will hear it if I go up after dark to close the window on the coop. And yeah, it scared the crud outta me the first time I heard it.

5. Jewels1935

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:It was a very loud growl..like he was ticked off [​IMG] He got louder when I came inside the coop. That's why I was scared to stick my hands anywhere near him. Once she laid the egg, he was fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by