Rooster acting up

Sandwitch

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
Our rooster Ducky (5 months old I believe) has recently become a lot more…. Hormonal? Basically as his ladies have gotten closer to laying he’s become a lot more protective. He seems to believe I am challenging his rooster status. I think he might have also done this with my mom but only like once? He mainly likes to run after me and flap at my legs. I’m not entirely sure how to best handle him without him believing I’m challenging him or whatever.

Before anyone says something like “if he’s aggressive he should be dinner” Ducky has actually been a pretty good rooster up to this point. He’s actually tended to be smart and rather respectful of the fact I am the big rooster and will keep everyone safe.

His main job isn’t for fertilization or anything he’s basically our warning alarm for predators. He actually trusts me to come and make sure everything is safe. He even lost his tail feathers during an attack for his ladies. He also isn’t too rough with them or even with our mini rooster. He’s still working on his flirting techniques (he is graduating from surprise mating to flirting) but besides scaring them a bit he hasn’t hurt them at all. If they say no and try and get away he lets them.

He’s been a great addition to the flock and I think this is just hormones. However I want to know how to best get him through this and get us back on the same page. This is still our first flock and so I’m still learning how to speak chicken lol

I personally would carry a plastic garden rake to put between you as a block to discourage him from this behaviour. But I’m not positive that will help as I’ve never had a rooster that would come at me regularly. I’ve got a few young boys atm but they’re not that old yet. Their father will sometimes do a little dash at me if I surprise him but that’s about it.
I’m guessing it’s as you say, just hormonal. He’s getting his girls in line and probably doesn’t like the idea of someone else trying to steal him.

I suggest not carrying a stick or anything else, unless you want to do that all the time when you’re out there. You’re going to be seen as competition if you pick up the girls or call them over for a treat. It’s Ducky’s job and if you do it, well then you’re going to be the target for attacks.

I’ve found it helpful to treat the rooster and let him call the ladies for a snack. Everyone is busy and ignoring you. Walk confidently and ignore the rooster otherwise. Be careful about turning your back on him for a bit, especially now and each year in Spring, and wear closed toe shoes so you can defend yourself. That doesn’t mean kick him, but you can definitely give him a good shove and launch him a few feet away with a foot.

Sometimes roosters are just too dangerous and changes must be made, but you have to decide when that is.

Before anyone says something like “if he’s aggressive he should be dinner” Ducky has actually been a pretty good rooster up to this point. He’s actually tended to be smart and rather respectful of the fact I am the big rooster and will keep everyone safe.

He is exactly at the age where the darling chick turns into the hormonal nightmare. :(

I have followed this advice and it's worked so far:
  • No handling/petting of the males except for nighttime, off-the-roost health checks.
  • Walk through them regularly -- never aggressively chasing them, but accidentally-on-purpose passing through the space they occupy in the normal course of things while tending the coop and run. (I have a couple buckets and other loose pieces of equipment to rearrange when I need an excuse).
  • Keeping the attitude that I am not part of the flock, not even top bird. I am The Giant Who Brings Food -- a force of nature outside the realm of chicken comprehension like a horse or a cow.
  • Keeping the attitude that there are many roosters in the world and that I have a crockpot and know how to use it.
There are no guarantees. :(

Much of what I've learned has come from @Mrs. K and @Folly's place as well as many others over the years.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @3KillerBs , and I learned from other folks, not all here any more, and from having those 'fun experiences' with roosters, the good, the bad, and the really bad!
This boy is a cockerel, and he's developing into who he wants to be. Human aggression is genetic, and management does have some impact on how it all plays out. Some cockerels will modify their behaviors with training, although convincing one that a particular person is off limits doesn't translate into 'all humans are fine'.
We raise cockerels every year, and have gone from tolerating jerks, to trying to 'reform' human aggression, to 'zero tolerance'. The flock and the humans involved are so much less stressed, when nobody is concerned about when the next attack will happen. And roosters can do real damage! Our first rooster, a little bantam, would daily fly up to my eyeball level trying to get me! Life is way too short for this!
You are getting some good experience here with this bird, seeing how aggression develops, or doesn't. personally I think he's already crossed a red line or two...
Mary

As AArt says, roosters are where the romance of keeping chickens meets reality. Personally I think that this behavior will continue to worsen, and he will become more and more aggressive. I have really never seen a rooster go back to the page before. They do not have a big brain, there is not a lot to train.

A lot of people will try very hard to train a bird, but generally they start too late. They start when they start to see a problem.

In my experience:
  • a lot of roosters ruin the chicken experience for a lot of people
  • they can become very dangerous, especially for young children under the age of 6 where they will take it in the face, but there are plenty of a adults that have had serious injuries too.
You tend to get the worst roosters in flock mate flocks. They rapidly outgrow the pullets, and very often become bullies. They tend to be brave and appear friendly and people love them. Inexperienced people are misinterpreting that behavior. It is not friendliness, it is lack of fear and respect. They are not like puppies in that if you are kind and pet them, they turn out wonderful. In roosters, when you pet them, you are taking the submissive position.

I think you tend to get the best roosters when you have a multi-generational flock. The older birds do not tolerate poor behavior, and chicks grow up in a proper chicken society. They respect birds and people as being bigger than themselves and giving them space. However, even with raising them this way, you can still get a rotten rooster, it is rather genetic, there are no guarantees, if you do this, then you get that with cockerels.

Space is the next part of rooster raising, roosters need a lot more space than hens. I like a rooster with 6-12 hens. I would not keep a second rooster unless I had a free roaming flock of more than 20. Multiple roosters multiplies the chance of it not working out.

There are nice roosters out there. I too, love the dynamics of a flock with a good rooster. Look at the feed store, 4-H groups, or a poultry club. What you want is a nice rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock with a person who would have culled him if he acted the way yours is acting now. It would be better to give that rooster a good home.

We have all been exactly where you are now. Wishing there was something you could do to make this work. Most of us, also tried way too long to keep a rotten rooster. They tend to ruin the enjoyment of the flock. And why a human being who has been nothing but nice, needs to be attacked and punished, is really a bit much.

No, I don't think there is anything you can do that will change this.

Mrs K

They do not have a big brain, there is not a lot to train.

And their testicles are larger than their brains.

0222221139-jpg.3001731

For those unfamiliar with the giblets, the testicles are the two white things above the feet.

Our rooster Ducky (5 months old I believe) has recently become a lot more…. Hormonal? Basically as his ladies have gotten closer to laying he’s become a lot more protective. He seems to believe I am challenging his rooster status. I think he might have also done this with my mom but only like once? He mainly likes to run after me and flap at my legs. I’m not entirely sure how to best handle him without him believing I’m challenging him or whatever.

His main job isn’t for fertilization or anything he’s basically our warning alarm for predators. He actually trusts me to come and make sure everything is safe. He even lost his tail feathers during an attack for his ladies. He also isn’t too rough with them or even with our mini rooster. He’s still working on his flirting techniques (he is graduating from surprise mating to flirting) but besides scaring them a bit he hasn’t hurt them at all. If they say no and try and get away he lets them.

He’s been a great addition to the flock and I think this is just hormones. However I want to know how to best get him through this and get us back on the same page. This is still our first flock and so I’m still learning how to speak chicken lol
There are several U Tube videos on this topic Search for "Aggressive Roosters" and several will be listed. My take is that you put the rooster in a submissive hold much like with the hens as they "assume the position" and press down hard enough to let him know who is boss. Repeat over several days and that may help. I haven't tried it so I can't speak from experience. Here is one video:

This never worked with our first rooster….. we tried for two months and it was pointless he became so much more aggressive every week after we started doing this technique with em…….. ended up being culled

Back
Top Bottom