Rooster acting up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickmom, Jan 9, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 20 pullets and 1 roo, black australorps, they are now all 15 wks old.
    Just this past week my roo has been trying to mate but the girls arn't having any of it yet! Should I do anything about it or is this normal for this age?
    Also, I have a few hens that put up a fuss when I pick them up. Hef will come running over and look at me and cluck until the hen calms down. Should I worry about this behavior? I always pick him up next, just to let him know who is the boss.

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    All of your roo behaviors are normal.

Hef is coming of age to mate with anything that doesn't move quick enough and when he hears your pullets cluck, he comes running just to make sure everything is OK.

Unless he starts to attack you, I wouldn't worry.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree that he is checking to be sure the hen is ok. It is natural behavior of the roo to care for his flock. It is also his nature to mount and try to mate with any that aren't fast enough to get out of his way.

With his behavior I would make sure to NEVER turn my back on him as he matures. He may be aggressive and sense that you hurting his girls and will attempt to defend them. At that point a roo is headed to the stew pot in my flock. If he does come at you with feet flying knocking him to the ground and mean it when you do it.

If he does seem a bit aggressive now you can pick him up and carry him around so he knows you are the dominant one over him.

I am not trying to worry or scare you just trying to offer you some sound advice. A rooster might be in a small package be he is no different than a stallion or a bull. He can be dangerous as he reaches his full maturity. Right now though he is just flexing his wings and growing into his rooster-dom.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It's good to know that picking a rooster up and carrying him around establishes dominance. I've known how to do that with a dog, but not a rooster. I've had bad experiences w/ roosters in the past, but fortunately, my current one is very nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by