Rooster acting weird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fallenone05, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Fallenone05

Fallenone05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Oklahoma
    So I've got a Speckled Sussex roo I've had for about 2 months now. I have bragged on this boy a lot and I'm a little disappointed in him, truthfully.
    This past week he's gotten into a bad behavior of running up behind me and going after my feet. But instead of him getting uppity and continuously trying to flog me, he gets out of my way when I even step towards him. He doesn't get aggressive with my hands and always greets me first when I call the chickens.

I'm honestly wondering if he's not potentially going after my flip flops? They're black, and of course they've got that thin strip that goes between my toes, and he's only going after my feet as I walk. Especially if I walk fast. It makes me wonder if he thinks a snake or something is after me. He stops attacking as soon as my feet stop moving and immediately steps away from my feet.

It literally only started this past Saturday or Sunday (June 25/26 2016) and while I love him and would hate to get rid of him, I've got a nephew that will be coming up to his walking stage soon and I want him to be able to stand with the chickens. I don't want an 8 pound roo jumping up and getting him. Rufio doesn't have spurs, but I really don't want to scar a nephew OR get my sister mad at me.

What do ya'll think? I'm really at a loss here.

2. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    It's probably the flip flops and the appearance of your toes as fantastic looking worms that wriggle about while you walk... Probably best not to wear them to the coop- would hate for an otherwise nice roo to start a habit on an innocent note and continue it ... toe nail polish is another major attraction!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by