Rooster acts like his leg is hurt / or weak from heat stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by texas hiker, Jul 30, 2014.

1. texas hiker

texas hiker In the Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    Sunday morning my wife and I walked outside to check on the chickens when we noticed her buff orpington rooster laying on his side.

He is only 7 months old.

Figuring he may be experiencing heat stroke or heat exhaustion he was brought inside.

Monday morning he was no better.

Monday evening after I got home from work my wife and I started giving him fluids with a syringe. He was given a mixture of pedialyte and pedialyte mixed with water. He was so week he could not hold his head up.

For food we gave him gerber baby food.

Tuesday he was a little stronger. We started giving him cat food, the moist meat chucks that come in the foil packages, gerber baby food, pedialyte and a scrambled egg.

Wednesday is pretty much feeding himself. Still getting moist cat food chunks, pedialyte with water and a scrambled egg. I put some hen scratch in front of him while he was laying on the bathroom floor and he was able to feed himself.

He is getting stronger. He went from not being able to pick up his head to being able to feed himself.

He still does not want to put any weight on his foot.

I checked for bubble foot and did not see a black spot. Both feet look identical.

He has been getting enough food to poop. My wife and I have been taking turns washing him off with warm water.

He is kicking himself around in a circle on the floor, but it not making an effort to stand.

One thing I am worried about it seems he has lost a lot of weight. His breast bone is sticking out. The chickens are free range, and have a couple of acres to forage on. My wife and I give them hen scratch and laying pellets.

I do not understand why he is so skinny and weak. We have been having daytime temps in the mid to upper 90s for the past few weeks. But the chickens have plenty of shade.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry about your cockerel. This sounds a little suspicious that it could possibly be Mareks disease, although I hope it is not that. Was he vaccinated for it? Botulism can have similar symptoms, but usually affects both legs. I'm not an expert on Mareks disease, and don't take this as any diagnosis, but here are some links to read about this disease and botulism:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

3. texas hiker

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    None of my chickens have been vaccinated, unless it was done at the hatchery.

My wife and I have 19 chickens and none of them show any signs like what the rooster is showing.

Last night he was kicking himself around in a circle. He is getting stronger, just not able to stand.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would start him on vitamins and probiotics in his water. Feed stores that carry Rooster Booster products may have Vitamins With Lactobacillus is good to use, 1/3 tsp per gallon of water. Hopefully he does not have Mareks, but it can start out with weight loss, leg or wing paralysis, and other symptoms. I hope you can read some of the links for Mareks. The last link is very long, but contains the most helpful information.

5. texas hiker

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    I picked up some rooster booster from the local feed store. Will give him some when I get home.

6. texas hiker

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    Update

Two full weeks later the rooster still can not stand.

He is eating on his own, drinking, even started crowing, though his crow is very weak.

My wife and I fixed him up a sling in a clothes basket. At night we lay him down in the bathtub. During the day he is in his sling. While he is in the bathtub we have his feeder and waterer in there with him. He will kick himself around so he can eat and get water.

He wants to lay on one side. His kicked are strong.

Sunday we put him where he could look out the back door. He was able to see the hens.

It seems like every week he gets a little stronger, makes a little more progress, but still nowhere back to normal.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry that he hasn't gotten over his leg paralysis. Has he gained any weight? It is good to hear that he is eating and drinking on his own. Wasting or weight loss can be typical in Mareks disease, but I hope he gets better.

8. texas hiker

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    I do not know if he has gained any weight, he feels like he has.

While laying on his side in the bathtub he acts like he is running a marathon. He spins himself in a circle no problem. The leg is not paralyzed, he just does not want to put any weight on it.

His crows are getting louder every few days.

Sunday his crows were the loudest they have been since this started.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Maybe it is just a broken leg or bad sprain. When a broken leg heals there can be a callus or thickened area of the bone where it has healed after a couple of weeks that you might notice. Some breaks high up in the femur do not usually heal well, but it sure would be wonderful if h gets over this. Please keep us updated.

10. texas hiker

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    The rooster is still not putting weight on his leg, nor is he lifting his wing very high.

Now he has developed white pasty looking stuff on his wattles.

I suspect he had some kind of stroke. When pecking at the food bowl, he has better coordination on one side than the other side.

He is still crowing, kicks himself around on the kitchen floor, just will not try to stand up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: