Rooster acts lonely after hens death, how to help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tanichca, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    The rooster is a year-old standard polish. Here is a pic from before a coyote took his hen- he was jumpy and energetic and vocal-a typical rooster![​IMG]
    However, his hen died about three weeks ago. Since then, he's become very despondent. He sits in one place most of the day, with his head and tail drooping. He sleeps on the ground, not even bothering to fly up to the perch with his buddies. He never crows. He only moves to eat a little bit.He shows no interest in the other hens. The other rooster in the coop, once a friend, now pecks at him, and pulled out most of his crest. The poor guy is miserable. Is there any way to cheer him up?

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The only thing I can think of is get him a new hen.

I had a pair of non-laying dark brown Leghorns that I put on Craigslist for free. A woman wanted them because a raccoon had gotten her three hens and her rooster was sad. She didn't even care if they laid eggs or not.

The funny part of that story is that those stinker hens laid their very first eggs in the travel box as I was waiting for them to be picked up. Those hens were 14 MONTHS old and had never laid an egg. And I'm positive about this, because they would have been the only white egg layers in my flock.

I let the lady have them anyway. :)

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, that's the thing. We have more than enough hens for him to pick a new one. He just won't do it. I might put him in a big crate with one of the available hens, as long as she won't pick at his bloody head. Poor guy. He's list a lot of weight since his hen died.

I guess this is just a strike against all those people who say animals have no feelings. :(

4. saildog

saildog Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2012
    I lost 3 hens and a rooster to a few feral dogs. And since then one hen stays all alone, perches alone in one corner, and although they free range she stays apart from the rest of the group.... within sight of them but about 40 feet away. I think the hens that were killed were her little clique and I feel so bad for her too. They definately miss their buds when they are gone.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Poor guy! I guess the only thing that's going to help him is time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by