rooster advise

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grandma54, Feb 4, 2019.

1. grandma54

grandma54 In the Brooder

Aug 28, 2018
    i just bought a rooster and i was thinking of keeping him locked up for a couple of weeks so he can get used to him new home and come back once i let him out during the day. My husband said it wasn't necessary since we have hens already that come in at dark and that the rooster would follow them back to the coop. could someone give me some advise.
    thank you

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Make a quarantine cage.... He will just get beat up if you don't introduce him properly! Have you checked him for parasites and diseases?

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would first keep him off by himself for at least a week. This way he will show signs of disease or parasites before you put him in the coop.

You might want to treat him for parasites even if you don't see any just to keep from introducing anything.

After quarantine you could put him in a cage in your coop for a couple of days, then put him on the main perch at night.

However,introducing a single chicken can be tricky. Do watch closely for bloodshed and make sure the rest let him eat, drink, and roost.

ChooksNQuilts and sourland like this.
  4. grandma54

grandma54 In the Brooder

Aug 28, 2018
    no i didn't know i had to, should i take him to the vet.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    you can, but if you would rather not spend the money check for normal droppings, lice, mites, ask the previous owner if they have had any sickness or losses in their flock, check for canker, and coccidi

black_fleet likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is the rooster....and your hens??

Quarantine is about impossible for a small backyarder.
    BYC Medical Quarantine Article

But checking for bugs anyone can, and should, do.
    I would not treat for bugs unless you see them.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

DobieLover and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  7. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    thanks @aart!

DobieLover likes this.
  8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    However, once you are comfortable with his state of health, if he is 6 months old or older, you can just add him to your mature hens. A single rooster is one of the easiest additions to a flock, as long as you don't already have a rooster.

There might be a few skirmishes, but he should and will take care of it, and within a week, the girls will all be in love.

If he is much younger, I would still add him. Older birds will give him an education, and i think you get nicer roosters. But he would need hide outs, and places to get away from the flock until they accept him. Some people don't like that.

Mrs K

9. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    How will a newly introduced 5-6 month old cockerel act around 4 & 5 week old chicks? Will he mostly ignore them and/or will the other hens/broody put him in his place? I am holding off on putting him in with the flock because of the bitties. Thank you.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Crap shoot...... be ready for plan B.
    Why add a cockerel when you have hatched chicks.....might be a cockerel there?
    Might want to start a new thread for your particular situation.

DobieLover likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: