Rooster Advise

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
Hi, I have a question about Roos... I have 6 hens that free range and Unfortunatly my BO hen got killed by a hawk yesterday.... I'm devestated but I also understand with free ranging its a gamble....
1f60f.png
. I'm wanting to add another BO hen and Roo but will probably have to get chicks and integrate ......

Since I've never had a ROO before I'm not sure what to expect.... I know they can be mean & loud but other than that I'm clueless..... I know I'm not wanting babies... Will the Roo try and breed with any hen or just the BO hen? Will he watch over all the flock? Are BO Roos that loud? Any advise would be great! Thx

A roo will breed any type of hen. Some roosters are really good at protecting there flock and nice but then sometimes you might get a mean coward
smile.png
. We have had nine roo's total,we have three right now. Hope that helps some!

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about Roos... I have 6 hens that free range and Unfortunatly my BO hen got killed by a hawk yesterday.... I'm devestated but I also understand with free ranging its a gamble....
1f60f.png
. I'm wanting to add another BO hen and Roo but will probably have to get chicks and integrate ......

Since I've never had a ROO before I'm not sure what to expect.... I know they can be mean & loud but other than that I'm clueless..... I know I'm not wanting babies... Will the Roo try and breed with any hen or just the BO hen? Will he watch over all the flock? Are BO Roos that loud? Any advise would be great! Thx
Roosters crow. It's what they do. Do you have neighbors right next door that might be bothered by that? Are roosters allowed where you live? If you do have neighbors that might not like the noise, or live where roosters aren't allowed, you should re-think getting one. If those things aren't a problem, your next concern would be temperament. Some roosters are mean, some are not. You won't know until it's older. Something that might help is to always let the rooster know you are the boss. Let him know that you always expect him to move out of your way when you are out with the chickens. Walk toward him, don't let him buffalo you if he challenges you. I'm not saying this will work for sure, but it could help. I personally don't make pets out of my roosters. The rooster will breed all of your hens. If you collect eggs daily and don't let your hens set, you will not have to worry about having babies. A rooster can be a deterrent to predators, but it is no guarantee that your hens will be safe. It could be that the rooster will be taken first, then the rest of your flock.

Roosters crow. It's what they do. Do you have neighbors right next door that might be bothered by that? Are roosters allowed where you live? If you do have neighbors that might not like the noise, or live where roosters aren't allowed, you should re-think getting one. If those things aren't a problem, your next concern would be temperament. Some roosters are mean, some are not. You won't know until it's older. Something that might help is to always let the rooster know you are the boss. Let him know that you always expect him to move out of your way when you are out with the chickens. Walk toward him, don't let him buffalo you if he challenges you. I'm not saying this will work for sure, but it could help. I personally don't make pets out of my roosters.  The rooster will breed all of your hens. If you collect eggs daily and don't let your hens set, you will not have to worry about having babies. A rooster can be a deterrent to predators, but it is no guarantee that your hens will be safe. It could be that the rooster will be taken first, then the rest of your flock. 

We are in the country but do have neighbors... My neighbors don't care, there are roosters in our area... My DH doesn't want a ROO! They are my chickens though... I have a Hen who is really loud and no complaints... You can't really hear her in the house.....when the rooster crows in the morning, if you let him out will he stop?? I gather eggs daily so I'll be good w no babies..... I might eventually want some but not at first.... I don't want the Roo as a pet, I want him to do his job and move outta my way! Thank you!

I have a couple of theories, and one is that a rooster raised in the flock, has better manners. A rooster is NOT a flock protector until nearly one year of age. Then I have had very, very good luck in reduction of losses in the day time, and my girls live in predator rich territory.

If you want a rooster, see if you can get one that is close to a year old. A teenage rooster can be mostly a jerk, but by a year old, generally the temperament is established, and people in poultry always have an extra nice rooster, that they have put off culling and would love to have someone keep. I have one right now in my flock. If you are not planning on raising eggs, it really does not matter what breed. Contact your local poultry club, or county extension agent.

You can add an adult rooster to your flock, one at a time. It is one of the few flock integration that adding a single bird will work.

Mrs K

Roosters will also crow all day long...it's not just a morning thing. Mine actually crow more once they are let out for the day. They crow if there is a squirrel around, if somebody drives up the driveway, if there is a bird, if one of the hens look at them funny....it's a constant thing throughout the day.

I have a couple of theories, and one is that a rooster raised in the flock, has better manners. A rooster is NOT a flock protector until nearly one year of age. Then I have had very, very good luck in reduction of losses in the day time, and my girls live in predator rich territory.

If you want a rooster, see if you can get one that is close to a year old. A teenage rooster can be mostly a jerk, but by a year old, generally the temperament is established, and people in poultry always have an extra nice rooster, that they have put off culling and would love to have someone keep. I have one right now in my flock. If you are not planning on raising eggs, it really does not matter what breed. Contact your local poultry club, or county extension agent.

You can add an adult rooster to your flock, one at a time. It is one of the few flock integration that adding a single bird will work.

Mrs K

Oh that is wonderful information... I'm going to do some more research on roosters.... I don't really care what breed, I just thought if I have to raise another pullet, I'd raise a Roo and pullet together ... But it's great to know that I could just add a Roo whenever. :)

Roosters will also crow all day long...it's not just a morning thing. Mine actually crow more once they are let out for the day. They crow if there is a squirrel around, if somebody drives up the driveway, if there is a bird, if one of the hens look at them funny....it's a constant thing throughout the day.

Oh gosh.. Lol. Well least everyone around us works during the day. Lol... I mean people over by us have roosters and turkeys... I can hear them but not bad... My hen is like a Roo, everytime she hears something she goes crazy squaking and BAWKING!

1f60f.png

He will breed.Its what they do.Maybe not make frertile eggs right away,but that's good.He will mate with ALL of the hens some just not as much.

He will watch over the flock.Normally roosters make a awkward sounding to alert everybody of danger or he sees something suspicious.
Roosters will kill their babies so becareful.I've had about 4 roosters in my life time.I would get a old rooster.My roosters about 4 or 3 years.great with hens and a lovely protector.although sporta mean.

He fights the dogs.He fights the dogs because he finds them as a threat.He cackles to the hens when something goes down and runs to them.Joe our rooster saw a hawk in the tree now keep in reminders of this.He took the hens inside.

Never get youngsters its brutal.They are extremely mean maters often not to protective.Roosters really know how to defend and things at ages 2 years.

You can get roosters crow cut and get them fixed.

Crowing is NOT just a morning thing,Sometimes they do it to call the hens alert things, to be let out of the coop yard, the coop,and food.Even to prove their dominance.
In my idea I'd get a 2 year old rooster that knows more then few months old and 1 year.

Hope I helped you!

Troy 4

Dpends on the breed of Roo you want to get.
ive read, heard AND expereinced the BO Roo are the most non confrontational. My gu is 2 and has always been low Roo on the totem.
the best rooswe had for a flock protector were my Jersey Giant and my little Japanese Bantum.

Back
Top Bottom