Rooster after a fight

destinypayne322

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
My rooster Elmo had his first fight today with the neighbor rooster(they just let him roam and he’s been after my hen). We’re in the middle of moving and this is Elmo’s second day of being here. While I was at work the neighbor rooster got ahold of Elmo and has messed him up bad (pictures attached-the white one is their rooster). He’s been drinking a bit of water that hold up to him but he’s not opening neither of his eyes all the way, he’ll peek but they remain closed. He’s doing a lot of sleeping too but he’ll try to crow but nothing comes out!
I’m at a lost on what to do. I’ve read around, so I’ve used a saline solution to rinse him, I’ve bathed and checked for more wounds, and isolated him. It’s just his constant dozing that worries me. I was gonna give him until Saturday (Monday at the latest) to see how he does before I take him to the vet.

Attachments

• 50C13699-26FC-402B-9A5E-53361D8031B0.jpeg
    50C13699-26FC-402B-9A5E-53361D8031B0.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 105
  • 847C6247-0E24-4D1F-9F81-E381A2FB31EC.jpeg
    847C6247-0E24-4D1F-9F81-E381A2FB31EC.jpeg
    724.7 KB · Views: 58
My rooster Elmo had his first fight today with the neighbor rooster(they just let him roam and he’s been after my hen). We’re in the middle of moving and this is Elmo’s second day of being here. While I was at work the neighbor rooster got ahold of Elmo and has messed him up bad (pictures attached-the white one is their rooster). He’s been drinking a bit of water that hold up to him but he’s not opening neither of his eyes all the way, he’ll peek but they remain closed. He’s doing a lot of sleeping too but he’ll try to crow but nothing comes out!
I’m at a lost on what to do. I’ve read around, so I’ve used a saline solution to rinse him, I’ve bathed and checked for more wounds, and isolated him. It’s just his constant dozing that worries me. I was gonna give him until Saturday (Monday at the latest) to see how he does before I take him to the vet.
What does the other side of his face look like?
What breed is Elmo?
Rub a little vaseline or plain Neosporin around his face and eyes.
Likely his eyes are a bit shut.
He's had his bell rung. If he's got blood inside his beak, swab it out with some qtips.
Get him drinking. Sugar water would be good or electrolytes.

Are you moving to this property where the neighbor has a rooster or leaving?
Keep Elmo in a place where the other rooster can't come and harass him.

What does the other side of his face look like?
What breed is Elmo?
Rub a little vaseline or plain Neosporin around his face and eyes.
Likely his eyes are a bit shut.
He's had his bell rung. If he's got blood inside his beak, swab it out with some qtips.
Get him drinking. Sugar water would be good or electrolytes.

Are you moving to this property where the neighbor has a rooster or leaving?
Keep Elmo in a place where the other rooster can't come and harass him.
I’m not too sure on his breed. I got him as a present. But he has opened one eye and he likes the sugar water mix. And the place I’m moving to has a rooster next door that they just wander around

Attachments

• 1C665A10-289D-4187-BC52-EE207DADB565.jpeg
    1C665A10-289D-4187-BC52-EE207DADB565.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 44
  • EDD67CE2-9794-4983-9366-5635496C65CD.jpeg
    EDD67CE2-9794-4983-9366-5635496C65CD.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 52
Another update on Elmo… He’s not crowing. I can tell he wants to try but all that really comes out is a little gurgle and it doesn’t sound like a crow at all.

"Wound Kote" (brand name) by Farnam works well for injuries that are not immediately around the eyes. It does a few things:
- shields the visibility of the wounds from other chickens
- provides some pain relief and is a germicidal antiseptic

We've used it for a little Golden Comet pullet that we named "Rocky" because she seems to like to get into "scraps" with dogs and hawks. We've had to dress wounds twice in her first 6 months with us because she got over a 6' fence the first time into the neighbor's yard that has 6 dogs, another time she got attacked by a hawk while free-ranging in our yard late in the day.

It sprays on, and is a deep purple color (shields the wounds from other chickens' sight). Wear gloves, or your hands will be purple for days!

I’m not too sure on his breed. I got him as a present. But he has opened one eye and he likes the sugar water mix. And the place I’m moving to has a rooster next door that they just wander around

Another update on Elmo… He’s not crowing. I can tell he wants to try but all that really comes out is a little gurgle and it doesn’t sound like a crow at all.
You will have to make sure either the neighbor keeps their bird up or keep yours behind fencing, but be aware that fence fighting can take place.
It would be a good idea to approach the neighbor and kindly ask them about their flock.

Your rooster has taken some blows to the head, neck, breast, etc. It's going to take some days to recover. Head trauma can take a while, his eye says a lot along with the facial swelling.
I would continue with Triple Antibiotic for his wounds. For the eye that is closed, open it, flush it with saline and make sure it's still intact. Put a little triple antibiotic ointment in that eye. Just let a dot melt into it.

Check his breast and crop area to make sure there's no punctures. You may find bruising (green skin). If there's abrasions or broken skin, then apply a little triple antibiotic ointment.

Sugar water is good, alternate to fresh plain water too. If you have poultry vitamins direct dose him once a day for a few day.
He may have some cuts inside his beak and he's sore. Offer him some wet feed. A little scrambled egg may be enticing. See if he will eat a little something after he's well hydrated.

How do his feet look? Any damage?

Back
Top Bottom