Rooster age and fertility

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Jan 17, 2010.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    How long after a cockerel starts mounting hens is he usually fertile?

I'm getting a cockerel who has been mounting some pullets for a couple of weeks now. I hear he's pretty steady, and has figured it out. He hasn't crowed yet, and his father never crowed either.

I can't really have one for long, but I'm going to "borrow" him until he starts crowing, and hope to get a few fertile eggs before he goes back to the farm.

(and before the quarantine comments begin, I got my birds from the same source, and we trade back and forth. It's essentially the same flock in two places. I'm not worried about disease in this situation)

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    If he is six months old, he should be up to the chore. His fertility will continue to increase for about six months, it will then beging to wane.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Cool! He's probably about that old. His father was precocious too. He fertilized a few girls before the owner even knew he was mounting.

Fingers crossed for some Olive Eggers this spring!

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:If you have a non crowing son of a non crower you might have something there, breed the heck out of him LOL. You will be rich.

I think there are a number of things that go into fertilty, I have some 9 month old RIR that show all the signs of being of breeding age, but the eggs are still very lacking in fertiltiy. I think the cold weather has something to do with it also. I think a lot of the eggs may have been too chilled to start in the incubator

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Wow, we must've had a casa nova then. Whitey was 10 years old and still going strong. All of our other roos seem plenty fertile too and they are, for the most part, two years old and up.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I bet he'll start crowing when he gets out of the pen with other roos, but I hope it will take him a several weeks to start.

If he turns out to be crow-less you bet I'll breed him. He's a third generation Olive egger (at least has the pea comb, and hopefully carries the blue egg gene). I'm hoping to breed him to my Marans, and get some pullets that are 7/8 Marans with the blue egg gene. Fingers crossed, I'll get some DARK olive eggs.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. SevenChickMO

SevenChickMO New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I have had a cockerel for about 3 years and he isn't showing signs of waning. Produced a clutch of 10 fertile eggs just 4 months ago. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by