Rooster? Aggressive!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by papadekaitlyn, Jul 2, 2008.

1. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I started raising gold comet and barred plymouth rock pullets this spring, but my local Co-Op didn't have any cockerels. I talked with a neighboring man who raises chickens and he offered me a Rhode Island Red rooster that was also just hatched this spring. (By my guess the 'roo' is at least 6 to 8 weeks older than the young hens.

I recently built a larger coop and run for my pullets and I had the rooster seperated from them for about a month to observe any signs of sickness etc. I decided he was clear of disease so I threw it on in with the girls.

Immediately the dominate hens began to challenge him(?) and being bigger he(?) typically wins by stepping on their backs or pecking them in the back.

The waddles look like typical waddles on a RIR hen and I don't see any sign of spurs starting to grow so I am questioning whether this is actually a rooster or not.

The rooster(?) is very controlling and will attack one of the hens if she so much and scratches the ground in a manner it apparently doesn't like. This morning that happened and it pecked and held the hen by the neck until she managed to get away (squaking in a manner that seemed to indicate considerable pain) and I am concerned that I may need to remove the rooster from the coop with the hens.

Is this behavior normal and should I regard this bird as a threat to my flock?

I have noticed no attempts by the rooster(?) to mate the young pullets. Currently I am just waiting to see if spurs will grow or if it will lay an egg...

Any suggestions/advice? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  2. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    I should mention that this is my first flock. I have spotted string along the lines of mine in the forum, but none that tell me for sure whether I need to have this joker for supper tomorrow night...

Any advice is appreciated.

[​IMG]

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Dinner! [​IMG]

If the rooster is holding the hen by the neck, I would assume he is getting ready to try and mount her.
    If that is the only roo he will very soon make himself leader and he will mate all the time.

4. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    OK

Sounds like it actually might be a male after all...

That in itself is a relief. As long as none of my pullets get seriously injured I guess I will hold off on that fried chicken snack...

[​IMG]

5. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    RIR roos are notorious for being mean. Not to just hens but people too. I would keep a very close eye on him. I would just wait to hear it crow.

My BF almost didn't let me get two RIR hens cause of his past experiences with RIR roos. But my hens are sweeties.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He's asserting his dominance over the hens to establish his place as head of the flock.

Not all RIR roo's are mean, the few that are give others a bad name.

Check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh rooster red.... I soooo have the meanest rooster right now, and he's drawing blood on my pullets. I should just eat him, right?

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:How old is he?

If he's under 7-8 months he may just not have the mating thing quite worked out yet.
    If he's older... eat him.

9. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    Little flour... Little salt.... little pepper.... Little iron skillet...

If things don't calm down with mine he'll be a nice main dish...

rooster-red,

I don't see the link to the page you mentioned... Hmmm... maybe I'm over looking it?

10. papadekaitlyn

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    Found the url on your user page...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by