Rooster and Boots

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetshoplady, Jun 16, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    My mother got me these wonderful rain boots. They are green plaid with pink and white. They are nice and comfy just slip them on and go out and feet won't get wet from the dew on the grass. That said, I wore them for the first time 2 mornings ago.

I went to take the little ladies out of their cage and carry them over to the pasture. I had already helped Captain Lafitte down from the garage door (he has a hard time getting down - so he hollers, crows, etc until I climb up the ladder and he dances over to me and I take him in my arms and bring him down and give him a treat). He is a really sweet rooster and doesn't mind me carrying him around and cuddling with him.

Maggie (20 week old Delaware pullet) starts squawking when I pick her up, Captain Lafitte rushes over to defend her. I shoo him away. He normally follows me from a distance when I carry the pullets over to the pasture - but that day he was on my heels and acting like he was going to attack my legs.

He did it again on the next pullet. I threw the bowl of food at him.

I decided to just let the rest of the girls out. Captain Lafitte keeps stalking me. Even as I'm bringing the goats out.

That night he was normal. The next morning, I come out with my boots on and I help Capt. Lafitte down. Again he's stalking me, even when I'm no where near "his" hens. I finally wise up and realize that its the boot. I take the boot off. Capt. Lafitte puffs up and pecks it and jumps on it a couple of times.

So now I am looking for a non-shiny boot that I can wear to keep my feet dry, and tonight, I brought out the boot to show my mom the roo going after the boot. Sure enough, I show the boot to Captain Lafitte and he follows me. I put the boot down and he puffs up and attacks the boot.

My mom and I were laughing at him - it was funny to watch once I realized that it was the boot and not me that he decided to go after. [​IMG]

2. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    [​IMG]
    I am imagining your rooster going after the boots.
    I had a dog that attacked my bunny slippers. It was really hard to walk.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That is funny! WHen I read the post heading I thought you made boots for your roo...I was going to make one for mine too [​IMG] [​IMG] Now I have the thought in my mind I may just try something like that! Or wrap the spurs with some cushion and tape them!

4. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    No roos in boots here, but somebody on here said they put socks on their bantam roo. I think it was for bumblefoot.

It was funny though watching him attack the boot. Especially when he jumped up and down on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by