Rooster and breeding question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gvntofly05, May 24, 2010.

1. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    My 2 Black Copper Marans roos are 18 weeks old. The BC pullets haven't laid yet but half are getting really red combs, so I know it will be soon. I have some EE's that are 8 or so months old. I am getting excited to hatch some of my own eggs for olive eggers. When can I expect to see my roos start mating?

Both my roos have started crowing more and in the past week their combs and wattles have turned fire engine red. I thought they were red before but now, wow, they are stunning. Does this mean they are maturing and getting real close to breeding age?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm not familiar with BCM's but I'd expect them to show an interest real soon. I think the Marans are a bit slower to mature than some other breeds, but not much.

The problem may be more in the age difference in the EE's and the roosters than in the age of the roosters themselves. The roosters not only have to be mature enough to be physically able to mate and to have an interest in mating, they have to be mature enough to dominate the older pullets by the force of their personality. Once the roosters get their confidence up to where the older pullets will accept their dominance, it will probably go pretty well, but younger roosters with older pullets like that can be a problem. The pullets may fight the roosters, try to escape, or pick mercilessly on the roosters. The roosters may have the size to force their way with the pullets, but if they lack the self-confidence and maturity, it can get very unsettling when they try. It depends on the personality of the individuals.

With all that gloom and doom, I will say it is very possible that things will go smoothly and you will soon have fertile eggs. It just depends on the personality of the individual chickens, pullets as well as the roosters.

3. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    One roo isn't very pushy but the other one is. If he steps the hens move! lol! He truly rules the roost. So hopefully I'll see some action from him soon then!

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

You shouldn't have long to wait [​IMG] I have been waiting for one of my young Wyandotte roos to start breeding my 1 year old BW hens and at 4 mos. the largest one of three finally dominated the older hens to get them to submit to breeding. I have 4 eggs in the incubator testing fertility and out of the four 3 are growing! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by