Rooster and Breeding Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDailey, Aug 12, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    This may be a strange question but I need to know:

How long does the actual "act" take? I've seen my roosters jumpin one of my hens but not for very long at a time. Now I don't know what chicken mating is supposed to look like or how long it's supposed to take so I'm not sure if the eggs she's layin are actually fertile.

How long does it take?
    Is there a way to tell if the eggs are fertile without stickin them in the incubator and seein what happens?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Our rooster would chicken surf first thing in the morning to about 3 and then he would be good for the rest of the day. lol But in the evening, it was different. They would lay down and you could see that he was really working to get 'down' to that area and she was helping in that department too. Still, it was just seconds, like cats I guess maybe 15 seconds? We've gotten a couple of fertile eggs, so I know he knew what he was doing. [​IMG]

3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Hmm. My hen doesn't cooperate and will try to run so the rooster's not up there very long. I was just curious because I'm hoping that they're gettin the job done and I'll have fertile eggs.

I've got one in the incubator just to see if it will actually start developing anything.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    How old are your girls? Before my girls were about 22 weeks, they would resist his advances. Beyond that they seemed very willing. [​IMG]

5. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I'm actually not sure how old she is. I just got her less than a week ago along with the roosters and several other hens.

She looks really mature though and is laying an egg every other evening regularly. She doesn't fight the roosters advances but just doesn't sit still either.

What are the chances that the eggs are fertile even when she doesn't hold still?

6. ctbagley

ctbagley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    Hickory NC area
    Based on my serama roosters, it takes less than 5 seconds! And his ladies have been laying lots of fertile eggs. Also, some roosters are gentlemen and ply their ladies with tasty treats and protection, while others seem to be interested in only "one thing" if you know what I mean. My rooster is much loved by his hens. He stands and protects the hens that are incubating at night. Sweet!

7. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I sure hope it only takes a few seconds because that's about all she'll allow before she runs away.

Here she is:
    [​IMG]

8. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    If you want to know if your eggs are fertile you can crack one open. If it has a little dot on the surface of the yolk it is not fertile, but if it has a little dot with a distinctive circle (think bullseye) around it then it is fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by