Rooster and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rookie Raiser, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Rookie Raiser

Rookie Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    Hi, I have an old English game rooster and a silkie hen, it is only those two in the coop, but my silkie recently layed a group of eggs. She has hatched eggs before, but we took the chicks due to her being with a group of hens and I wasn't sure how she would protect them. My question is, will my rooster kill the chicks if I try to let her raise them? Again, it is only the roo and hen.

2. burdboy

burdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I would probaley seperate her and the chicks just to be safe maybe divide the coop so they can see each other

3. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Roosters generally are neutral around chicks. They assume the eggs have their DNA so many will even protect the chicks. There are exceptions. So you may want to keep a close eye on his behavior. If he acts indifferent, then he probably won't have any inclination to do them harm. The odds on that are in your favor.

But do exercise caution until you're certain.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Odds are the rooster will cause no harm. You are likely to even see him invest in rearing of the chicks.

Could you show a picture is the old english game rooster?

5. edenrice

edenrice Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2016
    The mother will protect her chicks :)

6. Anne4596

Anne4596 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2016
    Western Nevada
    I don't think that the rooster will pose a problem. Nevertheless, you should keep a close eye on him just in case anything does go wrong. I heard a story once about a rooster adopting chicks, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Follow link below:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/882368/what-to-look-for-in-a-broody-rooster

Select images from that thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Relatively easy to repeat.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  8. lovelyduckling

lovelyduckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2016
    If your rooster is mean like mine, he would probably take a liking but will show them where their places are. (Below him) Which means he'll peck them and pull the feathers off them. If he's nice he may even take care of them. If your not to sure what to do you could separate the hen and roo on their due date and wait about 2 days, then introduce them slowly. If all goes well you have nothing to worry about. If all goes bad...then you may have to give one away or have a chick funeral one day. Hope it goes well! Good luck! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by