rooster and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sneakers, Jul 23, 2011.

1. sneakers

sneakers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    I have a question. I have a silkie roo in a pen with his two hens. The hens are both broody and have sat on their eggs that are due to hatch this week. Is he a threat to the chicks? Or will he protect them? [​IMG] He is very gentle.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If he's a gentle guy, he'll probably be fine. Just keep an eye just in case. My baby boy is great with chicks. He finds treats for them, shuffles them to safety when he thinks somethings up, and he's even taken charge of a brood of chicks to give mom some kid free time. You can imagine how frantic I was when I came outside to find mama scratching around with no chicks. Turns out they were in the coop with dad taking a dirt bath in the shavings [​IMG] Good luck!

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It really depends on the roo. Just keep an eye on him until you are sure he will not hurt them. [​IMG]

And [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My experience has been similar, with 2 or 3 different roos. I hope yours is, too.

5. lynnemabry

lynnemabry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Beautiful Lake County
    My broody raised her clutch in the coop with the rest of the flock including the roo. There has been no problem at all.
    In fact I almost(really almost) wish I always had a broody. So much easier that integrating pullets into the flock.

In fact the one month old babies roost with the big girls while the POL pullets are hiding in the corner.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    All of my roosters are good to the chicks. At the moment I have an orphan chick roosting at night up under my silkie roo. [​IMG]

7. sneakers

sneakers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    Thanks so much! I will keep a watchful eye on them![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by