Rooster and crowing Q's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilverDuck284, Dec 11, 2012.

1. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    My four month old orpington cockerel started crowing about a week ago. At first is was a few times in the morning, then a couple times a day, but starting yesterday he has been crowing almost non stop all day. I have read that this is somewhat due to being a teenager. So My first question is how long should I expect this to last? Will he calm down after a few weeks? If this is the case what is the best way to handle the noise in the meantime? I am wanting to keep him until his hatch-mate starts laying and I can collect a batch of fertile eggs (So done with shipped eggs!)

Right now I have him locked in the coop. Its a converted shed of decent size with a large screened window. It gets lots of fresh air and sunlight. Would it be okay to keep him in there during most of the day until he fully matures? I know this wouldn't stop the crowing, but hopefully curb it and muffle it.

Another questions is, is he old enough to successfully mate? I have two older laying hens (different color than his hatch-mate), but I have neither seen him mate them or do their eggs appear fertile. How much longer might it take him to mature?

Thanks for any advise or suggestions!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    He should slow in the frequency sometime in the next six months or so. They are individuals and he might always be a crower. Keeping him in the coop as much as possible is about the only way short of decrowing him to keep his noise down. At four months he is just starting to reach sexual maturity. His efforts can be hit or miss for awhile. They do learn quickly. Give him a couple of months for him to mature and you'll have fertile eggs for sure.

3. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks. I let him out this morning and he's been quieter today. I saw him mount one of the hens, but I have no idea if he hit his mark. Guess we'll see in a few days or so. The other hen keeps chasing him off, lol. Its funny to watch.

4. sniemeyer

sniemeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    How old was your rooster when he started to crow?

5. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    He is actually 5 months today, and he started 10-12 days ago. His comb and wattles are huge and getting redder everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by