Rooster and duck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rebatk1, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rebatk1

Rebatk1 Just Hatched

Nov 28, 2016
    Texas
    I know this sounds crazy but here i go. Im what you would call a country/city girl. So im not familar with the behaviors of my animals. :(I have 1 rooster and 8 hens. I have one duck i belive mallard that i have raised since a duckling.one day i saw Big Red (rooster)on top of duckey(duck) so we realized she was female. What i noticed is thst duckey will follow the rooster everywhere and literally lay down in front of him to do his deed. This is the crazy part. I found about 7 duck eggs about 2 weeks ago and duckey sits on them all night and comes out to eat, drink and go for a swim in tbe kiddie pool. Then back to the nest.are her eggs fertilized? Can this even be possible?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    No. Not that I am aware of. Different avian species.

Wishful thinking on both their part.

A rooster can go through the motions with a duck hen (however a drake can hurt a chicken hen as a drake has an appendage where a rooster does not).

So you won't be getting any Dickens....or Chucks....or...Chucklings....or Duckens...or

LofMc

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by