Rooster and ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CrazyChookLady5, Feb 1, 2014.

1. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    hi everyone,
    I've read about everyone (most people) saying to not put your drakes with hens, but I'm wondering if I can put my roosters with my ducks-when I get some...
    will my roosters try to mate with them and if so will my roos injure my (future) ducks??
    thanks for any advise :)

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

They can and do try to mate with the female ducks but I doubt they would injure them. I had a rooster that mated our duck and they had no issues, lived happily together and she even roosted high in a pine tree with him each night.

3. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    haha how cute,
    I have I few rooster that I was going to try to get rid of, but my mum said that I should just keep them, so when I get ducks I gonna put a fence up (so they don't wander off and not come back at night) and lock 1 or 2 of my roos in there with them and change my roos around very week or so!

4. SparrowHawkFarm

SparrowHawkFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Oregon, USA
    We have 6 ducks and 25 chickens, they are always together! Sometimes the cockerels will try to mate the ducks, but they are very healthy and strong! :) ducks and chickens are a great match in my opinion:):):)[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've never had any of my 3 roosters try to mate with any of our ducks maybe it's because they have plenty of hens to keep them happy, actually I've never had a drake try to mate with a hen either, probably for the same reason but A drake mating with a hen is deadly for the hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by