Rooster and Guinea cock fight.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by froggie71, Nov 26, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Ugh....Our Rooster, actual he's still a cockeral, decided to have it out with our guinea cock today. Cock 0 Guinea 1. No injuries at all to the guinea, but General was a bit bloody with the area around his ear lobe was torn. I cleaned off the blood and put neosporin without painkiller on the injured areas. My DS just went to check on them and he says the area that was torn is turning black. Should I cut this off? Will it heal on it's own? I'd take a picture, but it's now dark and the camera doesn't like the dark. I can post a pic in the morning. Thanks for any help.

Andrea

2. As long as your roo is not bleeding from the wound, let it go a day. See what parts are going to be a problem and you will most likely have to cut that part off. Do not worry, it does not hurt the roo all that much. There is a lot of blood in the comb and wattles though.

As soon as I saw your post I KNEW which bird won. Guinea Cocks are very aggressive and ill tempered when it comes to a conflict.

They are VERY strong and VERY agile. I would keep these two separated. i have witnessed a roo/Gcock fight and the Guinea actually took off and then turned around and flew at the roo with his legs straight out. He clocked the roo, I mean really put him on the ground rolling. A roo will NEVER outrun a Guinea fowl.

3. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks for your reply. I didn't think our roo was in any pain as he didn't flinch at all when I was cleaning him up. Don't know what he was thinking going after the guinea. Guess he figures he's the General. LOL He is almost twice the size of the guinea but still young and guess he didn't know better. Maybe he learned a lesson. [​IMG]

4. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    it's normal for a scar on the waddle, ear lobe or comb to turn black, thats what it should do. when you dub a bird almost the entire head turn black and kinda looks like it's covered with asphalt sealer

5. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    So this is what General looks like this morning. Aside from looking pretty ugly, he seems perfectly fine.
    [​IMG]

6. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    looks like tried blood to me

edit: give it some time to see how he goes.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by