Rooster and hen bullying light brahma pullet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LisaChick1, Oct 19, 2014.

1. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    So my flock of 4 pullets and 1 roo are about 5 months old. My roosters hormones I know are running high, he's crowing about 15 times at 6:30 am and again in the late afternoon and I hear my girls squawk and I assume he's trying to mate.... My question is 1 of my 2 light brahmas is missing much more neck feathers than the other pullets... So I was holding her gently while she was standing in her coup checking her neck and my buff orpington pullet came up and pecked at her too.... My buff is the flock leader and has zero feathers missing from my rooster.... Could she be picking on my light brahma with my roo or was she doing this just because I was holding her exposing the neck? Should I separate them for any reason? I know it's natural, but want to make sure my girls are safe and happy! How much is too much?? Thanks!!!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can be vicious...it's hard to get used to. At 5 months everyone is surging with hormones as they reach sexual maturity. It will be chaotic for the next couple months. Usually once the pullets start laying and/or the cockerel figures out how to get them to submit to his mating things will calm down considerably.

The missing feathers are probably from the inexperienced cockerel trying to mate and the hen not being ready, pretty normal. You could separate the cockerel until he matures more, but I wouldn't unless he draws blood.

Make sure they have plenty of room to get away from any bullying, places to hide out of line of sight and/or where they can get up and away from any bullying, multiple feed/water stations, will all help.

I've had another pullet try to peck at the one I was holding, just 'peck' her back on the head/face with the end of your finger to let her know that's not OK.

3. LisaChick1

LisaChick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Carmel Valley
    Thank you so Much for responding!!!! My buff who pecked at her just started squatting... I'm pretty sure she'll be laying soon and is maybe getting grumpy and territorial. Lol... Oh they're so entertaining

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by