Rooster and Hen dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleGirlBlue, Jun 13, 2016.

1. LittleGirlBlue

LittleGirlBlue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Kentucky
    Hi, I have five hens and two roosters. This morning my daughter woke up to find one hen dead and opened to where you could see her insides, and a rooster dead in another area. Although, all of the other chickens seem to be okay we have never had anything like this to happen before. Any ideas??

They are all 7 months old.

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Can you describe your set-up? Is your coop secure and your run fully enclosed? There are a number of predators that could be the culprit.

3. LittleGirlBlue

Apr 19, 2015
    Kentucky
    They are all in a very large coop along with a fenced off area. The top is not enclosed. It's fenced off from large predators.
    My husband was wondering if the rooster did this but with the amount of harm in the hen, I would think a hawk.

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Hawk, Owl, Raccoon. Your ground predators such as fox, raccoon, coyote are all masters at climbing. Unless your run is covered or in some way electrified, your chickens are not safe against these predators. My experience with fox attacks has been, unless interrupted, the chicken merely disappears sometimes with only feathers left as evidence, sometimes no evidence at all. So sorry for your losses.

5. LittleGirlBlue

Apr 19, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thank you. The rooster is the chick that is in my scarf. He was my boy...

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Sorry for your losses. Can you make your run more secure?
    Also, if possible a game camera might help, you'd at least know what predator you are dealing with.
    In my experience a fence will not keep out much of any of the wild predators.

7. LittleGirlBlue

Apr 19, 2015
    Kentucky
    The run is as secure as we can get for where it is. My thoughts were a hawk and the area is too large to cover the top. Thank you.

8. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If it is a hawk and it would not impede you doing what you need to do you can run string, twine, cording, rope, wire across the top.
    Hawks generally won't go in if they don't think they can get out.
    I do this when I need a temporary pen rather than enclosing the whole thing. It doesn't have to be pretty and geometric, just run the string however to make a webbing criss-cross across the top with not very big spaces.
    Won't work for other predators, but will deter hawks some.

9. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016

I am so sorry for the loss of your birds. If your own Roo were the culprit he would likely be covered in blood. I promise you that your run is not as secure as you can get it. Predators are very creative and your security solutions need to be as well. Arial predators should not be able to enter your coop at night. In fact nothing should be able to get in or out of your coop at night. As for the Run, it is advisable to provide a cover if you have flying predators in your area. Their lives are in your hands, there is always something more that can be done to improve the security of the chickens. You need to cover a large area? Okay you can use anything from camo netting to chicken wire. Simply plant a few support posts throughout the run to hold up the material you are covering the Run with. Again, be creative. A little money and extra work are small prices to pay to keep from having your loved ones finding dead birds first thing in the morning. That is the WORST way to start your day, I know all too well.

10. LittleGirlBlue

Apr 19, 2015
    Kentucky
    Your compassion is deeply noted...
    Our "run" area is incredibly large. We do have an area that is covered, but for the entire thing to be would be pointless of giving them a large run in the area that we do. When I asked about this question it was not in the question of judgement on myself, my family or the way we do this. It was a question pertaining to experience. This forum is for questions and friendly answers not critcism. But thank you.

Our chickens are happy, healthy and this was the first time it's ever happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by