Rooster and Hen Fertility/Mating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldCrookedToe, Oct 2, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Okay so this is a odd question but my two mating-age hens don't care for my only rooster. He dances for them and they bolt. He has to surprise mate the marans hen and has produced multiple fertile eggs with her. The other hen is a buff orp and has NEVER produced a fertile egg yet. I just cracked 3 of hers including one she was trying to hatch. I never see my rooster mate her and very rarely see him with the marans hen. He has no tail right now but has a huge red comb and wattles and is easy going. Why don't his hens seem interested in his advances? Is this normal?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    The hens are 7 months and rooster is about 18-19 months.

3. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Has he ever been around hens his own age? He might be to aggressive or intimidating them since they're so young. And they might not have accepted him yet as well.

4. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    No he's never been with adult hens. He was raised in a bachelor flock and this is his first time being with any hens.

5. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Well he might also have confidence issues and might not be that dominant over them right now. How long have they been together?

6. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    They've seen each other through wire for about 4 months and they've been physically together for a month. I just cracked some of the marans more recent eggs and they were fertile. The orpingtons were not :|

7. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Maybe give them more time. I know I read a story on here somewhere when a rooster had to gain the respect of older hens to mate them. If he's only been around other roosters up until a month ago he might have confidence issues. Do the hens squat for you?

8. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    The roosyer probably needs to either make himself more dominate or try harder.He may not even be very attractive that coukd be a problem.

9. OldCrookedToe

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    He's kinda ugly... He's named crooked toe for a reason lol. Poor guy

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Any pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by