Rooster and Hen Fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GlockGal27, May 11, 2011.

1. GlockGal27

GlockGal27 New Egg

Mar 2, 2010
    I have 5 Buff Orphingtons that are in a chicken tractor. They are all hens, and get along with each other fine. I have had them 6 months.
    My rooster and the rest of my hens are all free range and have the run of the farm. They have seen the "Buffies" and interacted with them fine until yesterday.
    Rhudy (my rooster) and Camille (Buffy) were fighting each other through the fence!! Camille was in full "fight" mode with the neck feathers ruffled and everything!! Rhudy beat himself up pretty well, pulling a spur out into the wire (we keep his spurs clippped, but it ripped the outer part off!)
    Can ANYONE tell me why they did this? The other Tractor Hens were off to one side and not involved in this scene.[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would guess that Rudy wanted to mate and the hen didn't know what was happening. Just a guess.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Camille is the "boss" hen, and she doesn't want the rooster near her territory or flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by