Rooster and hen with 4 week baby chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by livelikeyoucan, Sep 8, 2016.

1. livelikeyoucan

livelikeyoucan New Egg

Apr 11, 2014
    I have a huge 3 year old rooster, he is pretty mean to people. I receiving a hen with 11 Four week old chicks. How do I intro the hen and chicks to the rooster? Thank you

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Is he mean to other chickens or just people? I'd keep him away him the chicks for several more weeks. He could injure or kill them very quickly at their young age.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You should pen them side by side for a while. I would wait until the chicks are a bit older before seeing how it goes, maybe another 2-4 weeks. You will have to monitor their interactions and have a way and plan to separate them again. I personally wouldn't keep an aggressive rooster, it makes chicken keeping unpleasant.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would cull the rooster... why keep him?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

What is the point of the rooster? Just that he's been around so long you're used to him?

I'd say this is a perfect time to get rid of him. Why put up with a neam animal of any sort?

My roosters have always been reasonably paternal toward chicks, but mine are not aggressive in any manner, and have been raised in a flock and learned respect and good manners. I have no idea how your bird may respond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by