Rooster and Hen with Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZuniBee, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Thought I would share pic of our Blue Jersey Giants with their chicks....OK, only one is "their" offspring but she hatched all of them and they don't know it!

This is Belle, one of my Blue Jersey Giant hens, with her week old chicks. She hatched 6 RIR, 2 Barred Rocks, and 1 black Jersey Giant.

[​IMG]

Here they are with Sullivan (Sully) the rooster keeping a close eye on them.

[​IMG]

Belle teaching them what to eat.

[​IMG]

Sully and Belle with their babies...

[​IMG]

Belle teaching the chicks to drink. (We had to build a mound of dirt around the water so they could reach!)

[​IMG]

I'm surprised at how good Sully is with the chicks. There is a gap under the door between pens and Sully sits next to it and opens his wings to prevent the little ones from going into the other pen.

I love to watch little chikcs with the hens!

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Hi thanks for posting the pictures. I like to see momma chickens. Your jersy giants look real nice. Do they tend to get broody often?

3. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    This is the first time for this hen. Another hen went broody once as well.... but so far, no repeats.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the new babies. Belle sure did a good job. I love the color of Belle she sure is a looker. I have baby Blue Cochins and baby Black Jersey Giants but i see i will be needing some Blue Jersey Giants too. Thx. for the pics. they are beautiful. Best wishes on the chicks.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

5. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by