rooster and hen ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by john in wa, May 5, 2009.

1. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    my rooster is really ruff on the hens. to the point where they are all loosing feathers on their backs. i have watched him mate with them and it is like he mates with them 3 or 4 times right in a row. i mean he dont even let them get up from the first mating then he is right back on them. so i guess what i am asking is what should i do. i really like this rooster he is larger than my other rooster who is locked out of the coop. because the bigger roo beats him up. and i know if i leave him in the coop big boy as i call him will kill him. both roosters are barred rocks. [​IMG] this is a pic of big boy. i am thinking of making soup out of him. you can see in the photo the hens are loosing feathers

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. john in wa

john in wa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Ridgerunner thanks for the link. my roo is under a year old and still has small spurs. they have not even came to a point yet. the remind me a a blunt arrow. just by looking at them i would say they are about 3/4th of a inch long. i will catch him tonight and toss him out and toss the other roo in till i figure out what to do with him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by