rooster and hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emperor9, May 17, 2009.

1. emperor9

emperor9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    i put a rooster and a hen together locked up in a cage and they have been in there for almost a week and never mated. How long will it take for them to start mating and also i made a nesting box and put a golf ball in there. Will she fall for that trick.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Unless there is something wrong with your rooster, they are probably mating when you are not watching !

3. emperor9

emperor9 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    my rooster is younger than the hen but old enough to mate. when i go to check up on them i see that she pushes him away when he is trying to mate with her

4. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    if he is a younger rooster I would think he may just not have the mating thing done yet, I have a 10 month old rooster that definetly takes his time on mating cause he has not gotten the hang of it yet (Ifeel bad for the girls) he is standing on their back trying and trying and deems like it takes for ever.... he will get the hang of it when he shows the older female he has the goods

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by