Rooster and hens combs are black and crusty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tempestcooney, Apr 13, 2011.

1. tempestcooney

tempestcooney New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    I purchased a barred rock rooster and 3 hens (1 rhode red & 2 marans) from a guy that had
    massive amounts of chickens.
    I was told by the man that the blackend ends of the comb on the rooster was frost bite and
    there's not a treatment & it was due to it froze here in texas twice this last winter.
    There was only a small spot and today when I went to check on them his whole comb
    on the tips is black and seems to be "rotting" kinda away. Its not small sores or bumps
    Its one solid scabby black place.
    Is it TRUELY frost bite and it just was worse than it looked or is this something that is
    REALLY bad??
    Either way what do I do for him? 1 of the hens has a small spot on her comb but no lesions or spots
    or bugs or anything around eyes, mouth, or on body or legs.
    Thank you
    Tempest
    p.s. tried to post pics but couldnt because it says
    We have been having a big problem with spam and have had to temporarilly limit what brand new members can post. To continue, please reduce the number of URLs or images in your post to 0​

2. tempestcooney

tempestcooney New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
  3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Yikes!!I don't think thats frostbite.... But i don't know what it is, unless its maybe fowl pox??? BUMP!!

4. tempestcooney

tempestcooney New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    All the photos i've seen of avian/fowl pox doesn't look like this.
    Some of the frost bite photos do though. VERY puzzling.
    What do you do for Pox?

5. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    we have no "chicken" vets around here so when something comes up I usually go in to my local Tractor Supply and the people there are very knowledgable. Maybe if you have one around you could take the photo or roo in and ask them. Maybe a fungi? Doesn't look like frostbite to me and frostbite wouldn't keep worsening now.

6. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    maybe it is infected frostbite?? Is it warm to the touch?? Does it smell bad??

7. tempestcooney

tempestcooney New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    No smell or heat. I am 20 minutes from a feed store so maybe they can help.
    If not maybe i should treat for fungus??

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I know nothing about this, but, it sort of looks fungus-like (?). I wonder if that is possible...

9. tempestcooney

tempestcooney New Egg

Apr 13, 2011
    Could this be FAVUS??

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I've seen both pox and frostbite and those pics look like neither. Pox would be more widespread and frostbite would be getting better not worse unless the freezing continues. I think I would be looking for info on Favus. I've never seen favus except in pics, so I can't say for sure that's what it is, but it sure looks like it could be that.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by