Rooster and his hens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chook, Feb 27, 2013.

1. The Chook

The Chook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    I have found out one of my 6 hens is a Rooster (Ken). I'm not worrying now because they are only 3 months old but would I have to separate him from the girls once they get older. We bought the girls to be layers but now Ken as emerged will they not lay eggs we can eat without a chicken inside it. I know some roosters are separated from the hens until the owners want chickens. But would it be mean to Ken to separate him form the girls once he gets older?

2. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Only difference is that IF the egg is held at incubation temperature the egg will begin to develop.
    It takes 22 days or so for it to change into a baby, and you wont notice any change without a light for a long time. However after 5 days at about 99 degrees you will see a change inside the yolk of the egg.

The only reasons to seperate would be if you rooster gets mean to the girls, if you think he is mating a chicken too often (it can hurt their back), or the idea of sperm and egg isnt for you.
    Even fertile eggs wont be any different from store eggs except for a couple extra cells hanging around waiting for the temprature to go over 98.

We leave our roosters with the hens all the time, and everyone is quite happy.

3. The Chook

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    When you say 99 degrees is that Celsius?

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    No not celsuis

5. Chambertin

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Boy I hope not!
    That would be one hot egg.

37 ish celcius.
    I've seen anywhere from 37.1 to 39 but that seems a little hot to me. I set the incubator ro 38 and if it goes over 38.2 I turn it down some. All depends on the incubator and enviroment. 100 seems to be the magic number so about 37.8? My conversions are always off.

Anyway if the weather or the chicken gets that temp up and holds it nature will begin its process.
    Slow at first then a little explosion of life.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  6. The Chook

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    Ok. I'm with you now. I only know celsius.

7. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

if you refrigerate it will not develop but if you let the chickens sit on it or incubate it will hatch!

8. Chambertin

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Room temperature is fine as long as you dont live in an open desert.
    I dont like the fridge because eggs are porous and love to suck up bad smells and flavors like baking soda.
    Maybe that's why grocery eggs are so bland and rubbery.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Oh let the boy have some fun with his ladies [​IMG]

Collect those eggs daily and at most you will have a fertilized egg with the little white spot in the yoke.Just a little extra protein,lol.
    Hope he turns out to be a good roo.We adore ours.

10. The Chook

Jan 10, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks guys for the great help.

My chooks are still pretty young so I have awhile yet.
    Ken is very protective of his girls and freaks out if one is out of his sight. The girls love him too, if I come near them they all run and hide behind Ken.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by