rooster and mating with female offspring

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonda, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Gonda

Gonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Is it OK for a rooster to mate with his female offspring? I am gradually increasing my flock by raising my own chicks and getting rid of some of the older birds. Eventually, I'll have a rooster with only his own offspring, as I don't want to add grown hens from other places, to avoid causing sickness in my flock. Is this going to be a problem as it would be with humans (i.e. interbreeding)?

2. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    I'm interested to hear the answer to this too! Subscribing!

3. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Simple answer is yes it will be a problem. It might not show up in the 1st few generations.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Line breeding has been practiced with chickens for centuries.

Son to mother, Father to daughter. you only stop if you see things you don't like.. but you continue it if it gives you desirable traits.

5. WhetzelMomma

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    SO it's not so much you end up with retarded chickens, it's that you may be breeding for traits you don't want, and so would stop breeding for?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I bred and showed dogs many years ago. Breeding a parent to progeny was considered in- breeding, as was breeding to a half brother or half sister. Linebreeding was more along the lines of breeding a dog to it's cousin or niece-

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:any defects or undesirable traits.

For example, I've know of FBCMarans breeders who have had stock without feathers on their feet OR with webbed toes. When one of those traits appears, you remove the offending bird(s) from the breeding pen and add new stock that are to standard.

8. WhetzelMomma

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Yes. That's what I meant. As long as you're seeing desirable traits, you don't worry about breeding dad to daughter. Just clarifying that it's only undesirable traits like the feathers on the legs... those sort of things that would stop the breeding to bring in new stock? Can there be more sever deformities and things like that?

9. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Yes this CAN cause a problem. You could get deformed chicks.

10. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The gene pool is to shallow. Hey, but we like to see 2 headed 4 legged chickens! Seriously though, even when they hybrid animals the bad traits come out stronger than the good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by