1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster and the nests?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by This_chicks_place, Jun 27, 2011.

1. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Good Morning... I just saw what i think is a pretty strange thing. We have 5 hens and and 3 roosters, (I know 2 have to go just not sure which ones yet:rolleyes:) So anyway, the girls are getting close to laying but no eggs yet. I just watched the rooster climb into a nest and "talk" to the girls, 3 seemed to come over to see what he had to say. I think this went on for about 5 minutes or so! Is he telling them that this is where they should leave the eggs? Also, because only 3 out of the 5 came over to listen does that mean they are closer to laying than the other 2? Watching chickens is such a waste of time but so much fun!

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i dont know but thats funny [​IMG]

3. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Be careful, they may be planning a rebellion! [​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I know very funny:lau But they really seemed to be chattering back and forth for quite some time! But seriously......is it possible that he was "showing" them?

Arrrghh- why don't my smilies work???

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  5. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    yeah i think my chickens did that one time too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by