Rooster arching his neck.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BayBay Peepers, Jan 2, 2014.

1. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have an eight month old buff orpington rooster that is in a peculiar position. His neck is completely extended and arching. Is this something I should be worrying about and should I be taking immediate action? This is my first year with chickens and I want to make sure I get it right. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Does he open his mouth when he does it? Gape worms can cause chickens to extend their neck and open their mouths. Have you dewormed them at all? You might try that just to see if it goes away. If he seems fine, he might just be yawning or stretching.

3. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    This is probably going to sound terrible, but no I didn't worm them because I didn't think worms would be a threat in winter.

4. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Vitamin B deficiency? Search for wry neck. I have no experience with it myself but see lots of references to it.

Or maybe he swallowed something that is stuck in his throat? If you have money to spare, you could get an X-ray at a veterinarian clinic.

It does sound like something you should be concerned about.

E

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    After lots of reading I fear its wry neck. I think I made a horrible mistake. I still feed veggies and regular feed, but ive also offered extra corn for the winter. I think I overdid it and caused this mess. Not good :(

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may have not done anything wrong. Wry neck or torticollis, is a symptom of head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or a disease such as Mareks, Newcastles, and several others. It is also called encephalomalcia when it is a viamin problem. The vitamins B1, E, and mineral selenium are thought to help, especially if there is a deficiency. Isolation for caalm and quiet is also helpful. Some also have given prednisone with medical assistance. Here are some links for wry neck:
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/node/600

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for posting those. The first one is actually what made me think I caused a vitamin deficiency. Im going to pick up some vitamin e and poly vi sol. I hope Im making the right move and its not something else. *fingers crossed*

8. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    He's inside the house now and I'm trying to give him what he needs. He looks like he's deteriorating quickly. Last night he was roosting just looked a little funky.When I went to get him he was laying in the corner and my ducks were on each side of him. (They've always been buddies) He stood for a bit and took a bite of food and let me put a teeny poly vi sol in him but he doesn't seem interested in food or water. Now he's laying flat out and is taking big slow breaths. Someone please tell me he has a chance. Even if its one in a million. :(

9. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Try to get him to drink water, even if it is a drop at a time. Also keep him warm - 85° is the ideal temp. Good luck and let us know how he does.

Also, if he doesn't make it and if you decide to have a necropsy done, do not put him in the freezer.

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Our whole world is a freezer now unfortunately. I had a weak moment and I realized that won't do him any good. So here's to positive thinking that he'll let me put some water in him, he'll rest a while, and make a full recovery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by