Rooster Ate A Hairtie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjdmashley, Sep 30, 2010.

1. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Clyde, our RIR rooster was running around with one of our daughters purple elastic hairties [​IMG] (just the rubber elastic type-not the 80's fab scrunchie kind) and as soon as I got close enough to grab it the little turd gobbled it right down. Not sure if this consitutes as an emergency or injury (or just something I should watch out for) but I REALLY don't want to have to treat him like one of the kids who has swallowed a penny!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

any thoughts? is it something that could actually pass through?

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm imagining one of the little bitty rubber bands that would fit on ...say, my pinky? If it's one of those, i don't think i would worry. He'll probably pass it through. If it's much larger, i would just keep an eye out for any signs of distress, such as a blockage in his crop.

Either way, there's not a whole lot you can do but wait and see what happens. He'll most likely be fine.

3. cjdmashley

cjdmashley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Vermont
    it was one of the regular sized Pony tail kind (same size I use, fits around your wrist) really hope he just passes it. (can't imagine something that size would be real hard to spot, and happy not to have to go digging if it's no necessary)

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If he seems distressed, check and make sure it didn't get hung up on his tongue. I've heard about that happening before with string or twine and it almost killed the bird!

Open his beak and shine a flashlight down his throat to see if you can see any of the band. Move his tongue if you can't see under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by