rooster ate chocolate. Is this going to hurt him???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencutie, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. chickencutie

    chickencutie Chillin' With My Peeps

    91
    1
    101
    Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    Hi I'm a new chicken owner. I have 5 three and a half month old chickens and today the one rooster accidentally ate chocolate. I know they're not supposed to so is this going to harm or even kill him???
     
  2. MattalynsBarn

    MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

    359
    0
    109
    Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Oh my gosh!!! How is he so far? [​IMG]
     
  3. SmittenChicken

    SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

    300
    5
    128
    Apr 23, 2010
    How much did he eat? What kind of chocolate was it?

    If he just nibbled a little of a Hershey's bar it might not be an issue, those don't have a lot of real chocolate anyway. If he got into a whole bar of dark chocolate that might be a different story, I don't really know much about how it affects them. Hope he's okay!
     
  4. chickencutie

    chickencutie Chillin' With My Peeps

    91
    1
    101
    Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    Well he seems ok so far. He's acting like himself and he's been pigging out on his food like usual. I'm not sure what kind of chocolate it was, it was on a peanut butter bar left over from a party. I'm not sure how much he got before I saw him either...
     
  5. Sjisty

    Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

    4,251
    283
    291
    May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    He'll probably be all right. The "bad" chocolate is unsweetened or semi-sweet.
     
  6. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    My flock has eaten an entire batch of chocolate chip cookies and even styrofoam... they get free run of compost piles containing avacado scraps, potato peels, and other "no no" stuff... they do just fine. All in moderation and not to worry. It's not like they are consuming antifreeze or rat poison.
     
  7. chickencutie

    chickencutie Chillin' With My Peeps

    91
    1
    101
    Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    ok so eating the fudgey chocolate off a peanut butter bar isn't going to hurt him? I love the little guy I don't want something to happen to him. [​IMG]
     
  8. dedicateddourly

    dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

    447
    1
    131
    Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Hershey's chocolate probably has so little actual chocolate in it, that hopefully he'll be ok.
     
  9. Sir Birdaholic

    Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

    You're in trouble now! [​IMG] Every time you go grocery shopping, he'll expect a candybar. [​IMG]
     
  10. littlethorn

    littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

    167
    6
    111
    Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    From what I know, only the bitter baking or dark chocolate would have enough in a single bar to make him sick.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by