Rooster attached to dog?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MVchickens, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MVchickens

MVchickens Chirping

Dec 8, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard MA
    Today i was out by the shed/chicken coop building a science fair project. I had my lab out with me too. I let the chickens out to free range for a little bit and noticed that my jersey giant rooster was following the dog, but when ever the dog would turn around the roo would charge it, but then when the dog turned back around to continue on its way the roo was fine and following the dog. Anybody ever seen this before? its new to me.

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I'm guessing your roo was watching the predator in the yard, he probably would of attacked if the dog showed any aggressive behavior towards his flock, my pullets would try to intimidate my chihuahua when he was out in the yard. he is a non aggressive quiet unafraid little guy and I don't even think he realized the birds were trying to attack him. on the other hand I was scared to death they would rip out his eyes. but nothing ever came of it may be a different story with my LF chicks I have now. I'll have to watch them.

3. Jajika

Jajika Songster

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Sounds like your roo was being protective and keeping an eye on the dog. I don't think the
    roo was "attached" but rather what the other poster said---keeping his enemies close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: