Rooster Attack! Advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BillickChix, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BillickChix

BillickChix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Well, it finally happened. I have been bragging about LeMerde, my Black Copper Marans rooster; how docile he is, how beautiful he is, and how he lies down and clucks when he is pet. He'll follow you around and is very pleasant. Until today.

I was sitting with the chickens in our backyard (we are still working on the run so they free range with me watching them during the morning and afternoon) and with no provocation at all, LeMerde attacked me. He bit my leg, drew blood and bruised it pretty nicely. I went inside and put on jeans over my pants, put on a big fluffy vest and my thick chicken-handling winter gloves and grabbed a broom. I went down to the coop to see if he had calmed down and he ended up chasing me up the hill and back into the house! I had read that if you kick them back or react too strongly then the rooster will think that he has a spurring partner, so I just used the broom to protect my body. He hasn't shown signs of aggression before and I figured it was too good to be true that I had such a nice rooster!

I ended up asking my neighbor to help distract him while I got the girls into the coop - I had 8 little Buff Orpies waiting for me at the post office and received the call right when I went inside to put on my rooster protective gear, so it was imperative that I got the girls into the coop and pick up my little fuzzies. We walked down to the coop and LeMerde gave a warning song and eyed me like he did just before he chased me up the hill. He was clearly not cooperating. I got a laundry basket and put him under it while I got the girls into the coop, and once I got them back in, I flipped over the basket and liberated him from it. He still won't let me near him.

This forum has been incredibly helpful and I have gotten a lot of good advice, including separating him from the girls so he's at the bottom of the pecking order, which I intend on doing. Some people say to keep him separated and if he is taken by predators then so be it - some people say to give him away but I had a hard time trying to give away my other rooster just a couple of weeks ago - and others say that mean roosters make very good chicken soup, but we are vegetarians! Any other advice or your own stories would be much appreciated.

I do have another cockerel in the coop who is about 8 weeks old and I've imprinted on him - he follows me around and still flies into my lap for petting. I have high hopes that he won't turn on me but after this guy I'm not sure what will happen. [​IMG]

2. kerriliane

kerriliane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Langley, BC, Canada
    wouldnt that be that he sees you as the alpha, and is trying to become head rooster.. he's fighting you for dominance of the coop?

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    You really need to find him a home or give him to someone for there soup,he will only get meaner and its no fun having to be on guard all the time,I have read that if you can catch him and pick him up.cary him around with his head behind you while you do chores that he will know you are the boss,never tried it so don`t know if it works.

4. BillickChix

Aug 3, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Quote:It seems like that's the best answer, as after he attacked me, he pecked two of my girls and held on. He's never been like that!

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I'd've given $10 to see that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    He needs to go. He has realized he can dominate you, so it will just continue. Because he was able to chase you away you will have a tough fight ahead of you trying to prove you are the boss. I doubt he will ever be submissive to you because he came out on top once, so he will think he can do it again under the right circumstances. He'll always be looking for those circumstances to appear again. Then you have a nasty... and sneaky... rooster.

My advice is to re-home him. My second word of advice is to not make roosters into lap birds. They often see people as equals if they are treated as pets, and that can lead to dominance issues when they come of age.

Good luck.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm wondering.....why did you let him chase you away???? Twice??? I'm sorry, but you lost (twice!) right there. He is now dominant over you and will feel he can kick your butt whenever he wants. If you're gonna keep him, you're going to have to kick his butt at least twice, probably a half dozen times. Physically, kick/hit/knock him away. Blocking does no good. That shows him you're not dominant. A rooster does not see someone dominate to him as a sparring partner, he sees them as someone to be submissive to. NEVER get out of his way, always make him move out of yours. Once in a while, for no reason, chase him off from the food or whatever he's doing. Roosters that live together do this frequently, just to show they can.

Good luck.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Absolutely true. I NEVER back down from a rooster-I'll chase them all over heck's half acre before I'll let them best me!
    They can never know you're afraid of them or in their little pea brain, you just told him he's the big cheese.

9. BillickChix

Aug 3, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. The fact that out of nowhere he bit me and drew blood on my leg was scary since I have muscular dystrophy and the nerve damage will cause this thing to heal in about 4 months, maybe more. I let him chase me up the hill because if I get too close I won't be able to run away without falling and I wasn't about to risk another wound on my leg.

10. BillickChix

Aug 3, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Quote:Very good advice, thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by